Queen's updates academic considerations in response to rising COVID-19 cases

Students encouraged to miss in-person exams when experiencing COVID distress

ArtSci and Engineering address concern over exams being superspreader events.

On Dec. 10, the University announced in response to concerns raised by some Queen’s students that both the Faculty of Arts and Science and the Faculty of Engineering have updated their academic considerations process.

Queen's said the academic considerations process will now include those “feeling distressed about COVID in the community.”

“We would like to reiterate that you must not attend in-person exams if you feel unwell, are symptomatic, have been in contact with someone who is symptomatic, or have been asked to self-isolate,” Julie Brown, media relations officer, wrote on behalf of the University in an email to The Journal.  

“In addition, if you are experiencing distress related to COVID in the community, you also have the option not to attend in-person exams. This applies for all undergraduate engineering students including first-year students.”