Queen’s South Asian Association plans virtual talent show

QSAA president encourages students to submit performances

Image supplied by: Supplied by QSAA
Talent show aims to offer cultural learning opportunities.

Queen’s South Asian Association (QSAA) is planning to host a virtual talent show in early to mid-February that will be run though their Instagram. 

Shreya Anil Kumar, ArtSci’23 and current president of QSAA, is excited for all the submissions.

“I’m hoping we get to reach out to a diverse group,” Anil Kumar said in an interview with The Journal.

Anyone interested can submit a video of their talent to QSAA’s Google form. Submissions will be featured in the Instagram show.

The current submission deadline is Jan. 28, but depending on how many submissions they receive, QSAA may extend the deadline to ensure all interested participants have an opportunity to be featured in the talent show. 

QSAA is accepting submissions of any talent and from all Queen’s students. 

“Our aim is to bring it to all platforms—not just the South Asian community. Any student can participate,” Anil Kumar said.

Anil Kumar wanted to organize a memorable event for the South Asian Association’s community after the pandemic cancelled QSAA’s usual Diwali celebration. 

“I was thinking, ‘What could we do virtually that could engage the community without limitations?’” 

The idea for the talent show came from Anil Kumar’s desire to engage QSAA’s community while educating Queen’s students about the South Asian Association and the cultures it represents.

“One of our main goals is to facilitate cultural growing and cultural awareness,” Anil Kumar explained. “Hopefully, with this talent show we’re able to bring in some cultural talent as well so it’s a learning opportunity for people in the community.”

The show is meant to help students highlight their skills and step out of their comfort zone. It is also intended to encourage students to get involved with some of Queen’s many student groups.

“Students who might not have been aware of [a club] and how they work might see their submission, and then maybe next year or even this semester they might take the initiative to join the club,” she said.

Anil Kumar hopes the talent show serves as a digital platform for students and Queen’s clubs who haven’t been able to perform in in-person settings.

“They’ve worked hard throughout the year, and with COVID they [likely wouldn’t] be able to participate in in-person performances,” she said. 

“A place for them to showcase their work is my idea and goal for this event.”

Contests