Leslie Dal Cin announces retirement

Athletics and Recreation’s Executive Director will leave her post May 31

Executive Director of Athletics and Recreation , Leslie Dal Cin, has announced her intention to retire this spring.

According to a Jan. 27 press release, Dal Cin will step down from her post on May 31, coinciding with the end of the winter term. Her career in sports administration has spanned nearly 36 years and included positions at numerous Ontario universities, as well as the International Basketball Federation, the Canadian Olympic Committee, the Pan Am games, and Canada Basketball.

“I’m extremely proud of our incredible people and the amazing programs, facilities and milestones achieved together that enrich the student-athlete and student experience, and that complement Queen’s outstanding academic reputation,” Dal Cin wrote in an email to The Journal.

“In many ways 15 years have passed in the blink of an eye.”

The first woman athletics director in Queen’s history, Dal Cin was hired as the executive director of Athletics and Recreation in 2006. During her tenure, she has overseen the establishment and

expansion of numerous athletics outreach initiatives including the Varsity Leadership Council, the Junior Gaels, and Q-Camp.

Dal Cin was also a principal actor in the redevelopment of Queen’s Athletics facilities, most notably the ARC in 2009 and Richardson Stadium in 2016.

In her correspondence, Dal Cin described her overall experience at Queen’s as both “challenging” and “rewarding,” and said she’s ultimately enjoyed every moment of her time at the university.

“Through sport I have had the good fortunate to have travelled all over the world and can say with confidence that Queen’s is truly a very special place, but it is the incredibly talented, caring and inspiring people that I have met along the way that I will miss the most, and that will always hold a special place in my heart.”