Queen’s athletes share the best advice they’ve ever received from a coach

Gaels from around the university share some inspirational wisdom

Athletes weigh in on some great wisdom imparted on them by coaches.

This weekend, for the first time in over two months, Queen’s varsity athletes will be suiting up and competing once more.

In the spirit of a pre-game pep-talk—much like the ones the Queen’s hockey, basketball, and volleyball teams will be receiving in a few short days—The Journal’s sports section collected some inspirational wisdom from other student-athletes around the university, given by coaches for fans and viewers to get prepared for what will likely be one special weekend.

***

“Take this advice not only in the pool but in life: one great stroke gets you so much further than two bad ones.”

—Claire Campbell, Swim

“Anytime you get the opportunity to do something you love, you give it your best, right now, because that thing could be taken away from you in an instant. Tomorrow is promised to nobody.”

—Rasheed Tucker, Men’s Football

“You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken poo, so how are you supposed to race fast if you don’t do the work?”

—Kimberly Song, Swim

“God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers.”

—Ben Arhen, Men’s Football

“Everything you do is to prepare for the race. If you are standing there before the start knowing you’ve done everything in your power to be the best you can be, then you’re ready.”

—Sophie Deasy, Swim

“Everything that you have gone through in your life is preparing you to be excellent.”

—Dax Tompkins, Men’s Volleyball

“There can only be one winner, and whoever wins is the one who wanted it more.”

—Chris Round, Swim

“If you’ve put the hours in and have listened to what I have said, then I don’t need to tell you what to do before this race. You already know.”

—Matt Halpen, Swim