Queen’s community rallies for Global Day of Action

Students urge RBC to divest from fossil fuels with poster initiative

Image by: Skylar Soroka
Kingston Youth Climate Action group display posters around Kingston.

In reaction to RBC’s investment in fossil fuels, the Kingston Youth Climate Action (KYCA) group launched a poster campaign Mar. 25 to coincide with the Global Day of Action’s Fridays for Future rally.

Approximately ten people, including students and Kingston residents, displayed posters throughout Queen’s campus and the Kingston community.

Sarah Gingels, ArtSci ’24, said Kingston Youth Climate Action is a group united by the goal of climate justice.

“We work in our community, the municipal city council, and within the Queen’s campus especially to work towards climate action in Kingston,” Gingels said in an interview with The Journal.

Samantha Lin, ArtSci ’25, emphasized the urgency of the climate crisis and the need to raise awareness.

“We’re coming together on the Global Day of Action to bring attention to the fact that RBC and other big banks in Canada are funding the fossil fuel industry and the climate crisis,” Lin said in an interview with The Journal.

“We believe that financial institutions need to transition away from fossil fuels and invest in a sustainable future.”

Gingels said the group also hopes to urge people to join their email writing campaign to RBC taking place Apr. 1. The initiative’s goal is to let RBC know how KYCA feels about financial investments in fossil fuels and push the bank in a more sustainable direction.

climate crisis, fridays for future, Investment, RBC