Queen’s launches Principal’s Global Scholars Program

Deane describes program as offering ‘sanctuary and assistance’ 

Announcement follows advocacy by Ukrainian students and faculty.
On April. 4, Queen’s announced new financial aid and modifications to the admissions policy to assist students, faculty, and researchers displaced by global conflict.  

The announcement came after calls from community members for additional support in light of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. The policy changes follow recommendations from the Global Engagement working group.  Principal Patrick Deane described Queen’s as a champion for peace.

“Recent and ongoing conflicts worldwide, including in Afghanistan and Ukraine, have illustrated the disastrous consequences of physical and political violence,” Deane stated in the press release

With an initial commitment of $1.25 million, the Principal’s Global Scholars and Fellows program will offer safety for Queen’s students and faculty.

“This program aims to offer sanctuary and assistance while also bringing a diversity of insights, talents, and experiences to the university,” the press release read. 

The Principal’s Global Scholars stream is designed to support undergraduate and graduate students, while the Global Fellows stream will assist faculty and post-doctoral fellows. 

“Principal’s Global Scholars serves to connect undergraduate and graduate students with streamlined admission options and funding to support their learning,” the press release stated. 

“Global Fellows provides displaced faculty members and post-doctoral fellows with one year of support to continue their academic work.”

Both programs are open to students and faculty regardless of geographic and social locations.