Gaels always put in the work—even during the off-season

Student athletes are expected to continue with regulated training during the summer

For Queen’s Gaels, the off-season doesn’t mean time off

During the school year and regular season, student athletes give it their all as they balance the demands of their classes and varsity teams. Although the summer is a break from studying, it’s not a break from being an athlete.

In an interview with The Journal, hockey forward Shelby Sly, ArtSci ’23, explained the level of training expected of student athletes during the summer.  

“You can kind of look at it as like your day job, like a nine to five job,” Sly said. “Like I have workouts Monday to Friday, and I think it's just something that's just built into my routine [...] You just want to get those done.” 

The Queen’s Women’s Hockey team relies on the Team Builder app to manage their workouts during the off-season. Their strength and conditioning coaches use this app to assign and track workouts, providing players easy access to their daily training and an accountability feature so they can check off the tasks they’ve completed.

“I love the off-season. I like working out every day and getting that routine,” Sly said. 

Although the coaches assign and track workouts to ensure athletes stay at the top of their game, Sly doesn’t see off-season training as an obligation.

“I look at it not as like a requirement, but as something that I just want to add to my day.”

Athletes who are not in Kingston during the summer are still expected to complete off-season training. Their strength and conditioning coaches are responsible for adjusting the training to accommodate those unable to use Queen’s facilities. 

“With my team there’s not a lot who stay […] but the expectation is obviously to take your workouts seriously,” Sly said. 

She explained that even athletes who are unable to be in Kingston during the summer are still passionate about completing their training.

“I think training is training and if you can get in the weight room then people at home would still love to do that.” 

Regardless of where Queen’s student athletes find themselves during the summer months, they remain committed to improving their game.  

“I think everyone is really on the same page about wanting to workout,” Sly said. “I think the off-season is really huge for like personal growth and getting stronger and I think this is where you improve physically, and I think mentally too.”