Kingston police investigate University District sexual assault

Community members urged to review video footage

This article discusses sexual violence and may be triggering for some readers. The Journal uses “survivor” to refer to those who have experienced sexual assault. We acknowledge this term is not universal. The Kingston Sexual Assault Centre’s 24-hour crisis and support phone line can be reached at 613-544-6424 / 1-800-544-6424.

Kingston Police are actively investigating a sexual assault that took place in the University District on July 1.

According to Kingston Police, the incident took place early Friday morning at around 2:40 a.m., where the female survivor, who is in her early 20s, was walking to a residence in the Brock St. and University Ave. area. 

The alleged perpetrator attacked the survivor and fled the area when the survivor screamed out, prompting two bystanders to come to the survivor’s aid. 

In a media release, Kingston Police described the male perpetrator as approximately 30 years of age and six feet tall, with tanned skin, dark hair, and an average build. They were wearing grey cargo pants, a light-coloured t-shirt, and black boots at the time of the attack. 

Kingston Police wishes to speak with the two bystanders who assisted the survivor and anyone who might have information about the incident. 

They are asking anyone who was in the area at the time of the incident to review video footage, including anything captured on dashboard and security cameras.

Anonymous tips can be called in at 613-549-4660 ext. 0. Community members may also call or email Constable Stephen Rines at 613-549-4660 ext. 6407 if they have information about the incident.

assault, Kingston Police, Queen's, Sexual Assault, University District