Harry’s house of pop culture

Singer gives fans a space to be themselves

Image by: Amna Rafiq
Styles is known for his fashion statements.

From an X Factor audition, to being in a boyband comparable to The Beatles, to launching a solo career in both music and film, to creating a name for himself in the fashion industry, Harry Styles has really done it all.

Styles’ career began when he was quite young, with One Direction. When the boy band went on hiatus in 2015, Styles made the biggest future impact of all five members. His presence is felt not only in the music industry, but in the world of pop culture.

Styles is fully in the conversation with the likes of Freddie Mercury, Elvis, and Bowie. While his success is commendable, his ability to challenge barriers created by toxic masculinity, make his shows inclusive, and speak out about social issues is even more admirable.

Through his pioneering work in pop culture, he makes fans feel supported and appreciated, no matter their identity.

His impact in the fashion world has shaken the boundaries around gender norms. These efforts began when he became the face of Gucci’s tailoring campaign in 2018 and continued when he wore a pink ballerina outfit for SNL in 2019.

In 2020, Vogue magazine featured the singer as their first male cover star, where he wore a beautiful blue dress. Many voiced disapproval over the dress, but Styles continued to break fashion boundaries, wearing flamboyant, extravagant outfits throughout his Love on Tour performances in 2022. Sparkles, pink suits, and shiny, skinny trousers are his staples.

Styles’ openness in expressing himself through fashion breaks gender norms, creates conversations around gender and sexuality, and deconstructs male fashion expectations. This impact is inspiring to his fans, giving them a safe space to be themselves.

Styles has also created an environment that supports and represents other communities. He’s known for waving around LGBTQ+ Pride flags while performing, for example.

When asked by Rolling Stone why he does this, Styles answered: “I want to make people feel comfortable being whatever they want to be. Maybe at a show you can have a moment of knowing that you’re not alone […] I’m not trying to say, ‘I understand what it’s like.’ I’m just trying to make people feel included and seen.”

During his debut solo tour, Styles also raised approximately $1.2 million dollars for various charities including March For Our Lives, Time’s Up and Help Refugees.

Whether you’re a fan of Styles or not, it’s undeniable he’s one of the most famous men alive today—and rightfully so, breaking fashion boundaries, representing underrepresented communities, and donating to important charities.

Today, we need more of these inclusivity practices. Styles makes underrepresented groups feel acknowledged and gives them a safe space to be themselves.

The pop culture world is happy to be Harry’s home.

Art, celebrity, Fashion, Harrystyles, Music, singer