Lightning strikes, but Gaels strike back

Gaels overcome inclement weather to beat Gee Gees 26-16

Gaels maintained their winning streak in week two of the regular season.
Supplied by Robin Kasem
Lightning delayed the start of the Gaels and Gee Gees Sept. 3 matchup at TD Place in Ottawa.
After the game finally started, it stayed slow. Neither team put up any points and lightning caused another delay with only five minutes left in the first quarter.
This second delay lasted longer, pushing the game over two hours behind schedule—what had started as a dinner-time game was now being played into the night. 
However, the Gaels didn’t let delays rattle them, instead keeping up the same mentality Coach Snyder instilled upon them when they departed for the season’s first away game. 
In a press release, Snyder said they were to treat it as “a business trip and [go] out and just getting really locked in.”
After play resumed, Queen’s put themselves on the board with a 13-yard field goal. 
This has become a pattern for the Gaels; the first points from last game were also courtesy of a Tyler Mullan 13-yard kick through the uprights. 
However, the Gee Gees quickly retaliated. Within 30 seconds of Queen’s getting on the score board, they joined the Gaels as Maracle threw a touchdown to Dimbongi. Fair finished it off with a good point after try, giving UOttawa a total of seven points. 
From there, the game continued with some back-and-forth action. 
Gaels put up another field goal, but were still tailing as the Gee Gees kicked two more through the uprights. After a delayed half littered with penalties and constant change of possession, both teams were glad to be through the first two quarters. 
With their rushing-based offense, the Gee Gees proved to be an interesting opponent for the Gaels. After losing their top running back, Anthony Federico, to graduation, many were left wondering how Queen’s would stack up against a ground-heavy assault.
Anthony Soles proved himself up to the challenge. His determined and diligent rushes helped the Gaels tie the game early into the second half, pairing well with quarterback James Keenan’s split-second decision making.
Soles focused on running north-south throughout the game, refusing to get caught up in dancing with the other players. Likewise, Keenan played the field well. He’s shown a consistent ability to keep his eyes downfield while also extending plays with his legs. 
The two Gael touchdowns in the third quarter allowed Queen’s to pull far enough ahead. The field goal points the Gee Gee’s put up next wouldn’t make a difference.
The Gee Gees sent it through the uprights to cap off the third quarter, and the Gaels reacted by with two field goals of their own, taking away any chance uOttawa had at securing a win. 
This close, drawn-out game started with kickoff at 7:04 p.m. and finally ended at 11:45 p.m. 
Next, the Gaels are set to play their rival the Western Mustangs in London on Saturday. Heading into that game Queen’s is in great standing, ranked 5th in U Sports Top 10. 

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.