An (abs)olutely killer workout

An ab & cardio workout plan that will tone your stomach

Image by: Amna Rafiq
Your abs will be on fire after this workout.

You can’t keep skipping cardio day

Here it is. What we all hold off doing at the gym: cardio. Luckily, I’ve made it kind of fun.

Instead of aimlessly running for 25 minutes, staring at a wall in boredom, this treadmill is broken down into blocks, which may help with dreading exercising.

This workout consists of an alternating between 30 second sprints to 30 second walking periods. You can do this for about 10 to 15 minutes. So really, you only need to run 10 to 15 times—and it will go by much faster than you think.

If you’d like to make the time go by a bit faster, throw on a TV show while you’re running to keep your mind distracted. Realistically, you wouldn’t even be able to get through half of an episode of Modern Family—so it’s really not that bad.

Alternatively, if running isn’t your thing, or you have any physical accommodations and can’t run, no problem. Instead, you can do an inclined walk for 20 minutes. Simply start the treadmill, increase the incline to 12 or 13, and the speed to three or four.

Not only does cardio help to burn fat and advance weight loss, but it improves overall heart health, lowers cholesterol levels, and reduces your risk of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and even certain types of cancers.

Think positively going into it! Who knows, you might enjoy it.

Two hard-core super sets

If you want to feel stronger or more toned in your stomach, this is the workout for you. Core exercises aim to strengthen muscles in your stomach which improvesbalance, stability, andposture. In turn, this can also aid inreducing back pain.

In this workout there are two super sets. A super set entails two consecutive sets without a break in between exercises.

The first super set is Russian twists with a weight and bicycle crunches. For Russian twists, you’re going to sit on the ground with your legs out straight. Lift your legs off the ground, leaning back slightly so your core is engaged. You should be sitting in a V-like shape. While your legs are off the ground, and while holding a dumbbell weight in your hands, twist your torso side to side so the dumbbell is moving to either side of your waist.

This exercise will target your rectus abdominis as well as your obliques. Do this rotating movement for 20 reps.

Once you’re done the Russian twists, go right into bicycle crunches. Bring your back and legs to the ground so you’re lying down flat. Place your hands on the back of your head and bring your legs off the ground. Bring your left knee to your right elbow, then switch.

This rotation will target the same areas in your stomach. Do this for a total of 30 reps, then go back and forth between these exercises four times.

The next super set is four sets each, but only 10 reps each. First is heel tap crunches.

Get into the same position of bicycle crunches, but instead of twisting your body, bring your legs up with your knees bent and, one leg at a time, drop your heel to the ground. Your head should be lifted off the ground, so your hands can be placed on the back of your head once again. This is the “crunch” part of the exercise.

This exercise will target majority of your midsection, activating your upper and lower abs, your transverse abdominis, and your rectus abdominis. This exercise is great if you’re aiming for a stronger six-pack.

Accompanying this exercise are plate pass crunches. In the same starting position as both the bicycle crunches and the heel tap crunches, place the weighted plate on top of your shins. Your shins should be acting as a table for the plate.

While laying down, extend your arms above your head. Then crunch, bringing your arms to the plate. Grab the plate, and bring it back down above your head, finishing laying down. Keep your legs off the ground in the same table-like position throughout the full exercise. Repeat the movement of placing the weight on your legs and bringing it down above your head.

This exercise will also target your rectus abdominis.

Are your abs on fire yet?

Take a quick breather after those supersets before we finish this ab workout with a weighted plank. You can use the same weighted plate you used in the super set.

Get into a plank position, with your forearms on the ground, and your legs extended. You will be holding yourself off the ground, in a flat position. The plate will sit on your upper back. Hold this plank for 60 seconds. Take a 10 second break. Then, repeat twice more.

***

Once you’re done this workout, you’ll feel accomplished and stronger already. I apologize in advance for the wicked after burn tomorrow.

Abs, exercise, Workout