Breakfasts and Positivity: A Q&A with Lauren Webb, The Botterell Hall Lady

Deep down in Botterell Hall hundreds of students pass through to grab a quick breakfast every week. The mood is positive and lively; there are no tears despite this cafe being under a medical library.

The general happiness of the cafe is largely due to one cashier, Lauren Webb. Lauren is known to many students for being one of the nicest women they have met at Queen’s. She may be the nicest person I have met in all of Kingston, maybe even all of Ontario.

As Lauren goes on break, I sit patiently to ask her all the questions I have been wondering for a long time. Here are her answers:

Q: How long have you worked at Queen’s?

A: This is my third year working here at Botterell! I worked at Queen’s in the past for three years, but the six years are not consecutive.

Q: What has been your most memorable moment working here on campus?

A: It must be when I made number 42 on a list for the top 50 things at Queen’s. I remember seeing that and being so surprised and happy – same goes for all the Queen’s Compliments directed towards me!

Lauren’s co-worker: Yes! You were so happy when that happened. I remember you ranting on about it.

Q: Is there anything you think customers would be surprised to learn about you?

A: Not really! I’m a single mom so I’m no party animal. There is nothing to tell that would peel the paint off the walls or anything like that.

Q: Do you have a favourite type of customer?

A: I like cheerful customers … but I also like sad types too because you get to make them smile. Oh well that doesn’t answer the question. I like all people!

Q: What is your favourite part of Kingston?

A: I like being near the water. It is calm and beautiful. Everyone is so friendly in Kingston.

Q: Do you have any advice for those looking to be positive in their day-to-day lives?

A: Life is what you make it – if you’re miserable you’re going to have a miserable life. I am not thinking ‘oh old poor me’ all the time. You need a good mindset and you’ll have a great life.

Q: A final question for those who are curious, what is your favorite colour?

A: Haha! I’d have to say yellow.

If you appreciate what Lauren does, don’t be afraid to express that to her. Her positivity brightens up our days (and Botterell breakfasts), so the least we can do is brighten up hers.

Botterell breakfast