Band still evolving and breaking waves

Wakestock favourites The Junction fuse and funk around with modern rock

The Junction are high-school friends bassist Matt Jameson

The Junction have seen a lot of changes since their conception as a high school jazz outfit in their hometown Brampton, Ontario back in 1997, but they’re learning to roll with the punches. Some things have stayed the same such as core members guitarist and vocalist Brent Jackson, bassist Matt Jameson and drummer Mike Taylor and the group’s mutual love for defying parameters.

While the band developed the line-up switched around and correspondingly, so did the instruments. The Toronto rock trio used to have keyboard and trumpet which made for a jazzier and soulful sound. “It’s changed a lot. Earlier on we had tons of members come in and out of the band. Nobody really stuck around for very long other than [ex-keyboardist and vocalist] Joel [James]. It started off a lot jazzier and wasn’t nearly as much of a rock show as it is now,” Jameson said. “Now we’re a three piece and things are a lot more stripped down. The sound has evolved.”

Pinning down The Junction’s sound is challenging and the band members aren’t exactly into defining their music. Luckily their songs speak loud enough on their own, as their independently released EP And With This Comes Tomorrow sold a thousand copies in the first two weeks of its release in 2004. This piqued label Maple Music’s interest and The Junction were soon picked up by Universal Music Canada.

There’s a driving rock undertone in their sound that easily leads to different avenues and their 2007 first full-length, self-titled album is a pastiche of modern rock veins. The whimsical rock verges on pop during the melodious “Frequencies” with its jangle-y chords and upbeat raw vocals. Even the grittier sound of “I’m Aware and Writing From the Heart” has moments that shed light on the garage jam band—they sound like they’re grooving for fun. Although the album The Junction is full of new material and evolving sounds, it still offers three of the band’s classic songs “Components of Four,” “Frequencies” and “Untitled.” The trio re-arranges the pieces, previously released on their EP, to capture the energy of their live shows with group chants and handclaps.

“We carried over the three songs simply because we want to take this record out of Canada. We didn’t want to deny those three tracks, despite that the people in Brampton have heard them on three EPs. It’s the last time these tunes are going to get recorded,” Jameson said.

The recording experience, although stressful because Jackson lost his voice, marked a turning point in their career.

“The difference was that this time we had budget. The other one was done purely out of the passion of the producer, for free, which was something else,” Jameson said.

“We really got to up the ante in terms of the gear and the space we were using. We got to record in an actual studio as opposed to a closet.”

Now armed with a full length-album and a stable line-up, The Junction hope to reach international audiences. A record deal in Japan has panned out and with this comes the possibility of a tour, still unscheduled so they’re crossing their fingers.

A staple of the GTA scene, The Junction spent years playing the area and have recently toured Canada with Bedouin Soundclash and Alexisonfire. The band has been playing coast to coast and touching base in smaller towns, which is a throwback to the band’s early days. “Brampton lacks a lot of venues so it was all pretty homegrown as far as people doing shows. It was good just being in the GTA and having the option to play all those places.”

Generating a sunnier vibe than their 905 emo counterparts, the rockers seem to be on the tip of a few tongues since they played Grand Bend’s Cutting Edge Festival, Mississauga’s Beating Heart Festival and Toronto’s Wakestock.

Now embarking on another cross-Canada tour, The Junction are no strangers to the road, but it’s a life that suits them and they would love to make their musical aspirations full-time Jamesons said.

“Being home is nice and getting on the road and seeing new people and places is nice; it’s a happy marriage.”

The Junction want to strike a balance between career stability and artistic growth while they’re at it.

“It’s going to be one of those things where we’re not really ones to put limits on what music gets written and that’s something that’s going to keep our music diverse and constantly changing,” Jameson said.

“I’d like to think we’re getting better at what we do.”

————–
The Junction play Time to Laugh Comedy Club Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $8 at the door.