Flags on campus lowered after passing of first-year student

Andrea Mariano passed away on Sept. 17 following an anaphylactic allergic reaction

Flags on campus were lowered after the passing of first-year student Andrea Mariano on Sept. 17.

Queen’s University informed students on Friday afternoon of the passing of Andrea Mariano, a first-year student in Arts and Science. 

According to a University press release, Mariano’s family has indicated that the cause of death was related to an anaphylactic allergic reaction. She passed away at Kingston General Hospital on Sept. 17.

Mariano, 18, was from Thornhill, Ont. She had just begun her studies at Queen's this month.

“I would like to express my deepest condolences to Andrea’s family on behalf of the Queen’s community,” Principal Daniel Woolf said in the release.

Flags on campus have been lowered in her memory and an on-campus memorial service will be announced at a later date, according to the release.

The Arts and Science Undergraduate Society also released a statement of their condolences.

“While one of the newest members of the Queen’s community, her absence will surely be felt and missed by many. Our thoughts are with her family and friends during this upsetting time.” 

The funeral service will take place at Fratelli Vescio Funeral Homes, 8101 Weston Rd., Woodbridge, Ont.

Anyone in need of support is encouraged to contact Student Wellness Services at 613-533-6000 ext. 78264 and/or University Chaplain Kate Johnson at 613-533-2186. After hours, students can contact Campus Security at 613-533-6733.

This story will be updated as new information becomes available.

Tags: