Parenting Room opens on campus

Lorne Beswick, VP Campaigns and Community Affairs for the SGPS, has been working on getting the Parenting Room ready for use since the begining of the 2015-16 academic year. He is pictured here with his daughter.

The Society of Graduate and Professional Students (SGPS) has opened a space for student parents on campus.

At the Parenting Room’s official opening on Monday, SGPS Vice President (Campaigns and Community Affairs) Lorne Beswick answered questions from prospective users of the space and brought his own family along.

Located in the JDUC in Room 203, the space is intended to operate as a safe and quiet zone for parents and family members in the Queen’s community to take care of their children.

The room includes practical items such as a diaper change table, a comfortable nursing chair and a diaper genie along with toys and activities for young children. 

While it wasn’t marketed as a day care service, the room is intended to be a secluded space that remains in a central location close to classrooms, offices and libraries on campus.

In a promotional email, Beswick wrote that the space will be a place “for students to catch up on their work/life balance at their own pace.”