Men’s basketball picks up pair of victories on home court

Singh leads Gaels past Guelph and Lakehead

Ryall Stroud (right) drives past a Lakehead defender on Saturday night.
Image by: Kendra Pierroz

Men’s basketball is back in the win column after two consecutive victories this past weekend.

Coming off three straight losses, the team rebounded with decisive wins against the Guelph Gryphons and Lakehead Thunderwolves.

Friday’s game saw the Gaels jump out to an explosive first quarter, scoring 36 points on an exceptional 76 per cent of their shots from the floor.

Heading into the half with a comfortable 54-33 lead, the team was tested in the third as the Gryphons managed to bring the game within nine. After an 11-0 run by the opposition, the Gaels found a spark late and finished strong with a 93-81 win.

Along with a season-high for points and a formidable 50 per cent shooting on the night, guard Tanner Graham said the team’s execution on both sides of the ball was imperative to the men’s success.

He added that in a constant fight for a playoff berth, every game is crucial.

“These are must-win games for us,” he said. “The past three games we played the top three teams in the country and we were on a bit of a losing streak, so it’s a really important win.”

The Gaels continued their hot play on Saturday against the Thunderwolves.

Once again, the Gaels started the opening quarter strong, capping off with a three-pointer at the buzzer from senior guard Sukhpreet Singh and a 20-16 lead.

The teams traded leads back-and-forth throughout the game, but the Gaels squeezed out a late surge in the fourth, ripping off an 11-2 run and winning 80-72. 

Behind the team’s imposing persistence was Singh, who filled up the stat sheet with 36 points, nine rebounds, two assists and a steal. It was the third time he’s scored 30 or more in conference play this season.

The Gaels look to build on their strong play next weekend, tipping off a two-game homestand against the Western Mustangs and Windsor Lancers.  

Men's Basketball, Ryall Stroud, Tanner Graham