Journal staff’s movie picks

Which movies we just can't get enough of

Scenes from the Journal staff's favourite films.
Photo illustration by Josh Granovsky

It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

Year-in, year-out, you’ll find me in my parent’s house, ugly crying on the sofa as Jimmy Stewart wishes a ‘Merry Christmas’ to that “old Building and Loan.” Sure, the film shows its age: you see it as soon as George is introduced as being frightened by his wife’s self-sufficient job. But underneath this, you start to see a slow-moving tragedy as George loses small battles over the course of the years. It’s bleak but also the reason I return to that sofa every Christmas Eve — when George wishes a Merry Christmas, it’s because he’s earned it.

Nick Pearce, Arts Editor

The Truman Show (1998)

My favourite movie of all time is The Truman Show starring Jim Carrey. Its man-on-TV-but-has-no-idea premise is hilarious, heartbreaking and ... oh yeah, it's about my life. I live on Truman Street, I once found a camera in my laundry hamper and one time on vacation, a woman even approached me to tell me she “loved my show.” Producers, consider this your final warning: give me a better love interest or I walk.

— Josh Granovsky, Assistant Lifestyle Editor

When Harry Met Sally (1989)

Who doesn’t love a classic rom-com with a realistic end game? When Harry Met Sally is much slower and dialogue-based than most movies these days but that’s what makes it so good. Watching Harry and Sally sit in a car, deli or department store talking about relationships is extremely relatable and will never get old. Plus, that iconic “I’ll have what she’s having” line seals the deal.

— Shivani Gonzalez, Lifestyle Editor

Life of Pi (2001)

One of my favourite movies is Life of Pi because it’s a consistent reminder that the world is a lot bigger than we imagine. It inspires wanderlust but also instills humility in knowing while we, as humans, consider ourselves as a powerful species, mother nature matches up the same, if not more, every time. It’s also truly a visual masterpiece.

— Jasnit Pabla, Assistant News Editor

Lost in Translation (2003)

My dad and I always say Lost in Translation is the perfect movie — it’s simultaneously funny, poignant and reassuring. The cinematography and soundtrack are also beautiful. The plotline follows Bill Murray as an aging actor befriending Scarlett Johansson’s college graduate in a Tokyo hotel. It’s refreshing to see the characters deeply connect across their age divide without a romantic relationship. Also, Bill Murray wears an Ed Hardy t-shirt and sings karaoke.

— Meredith Wilson-Smith, Copy Editor

Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

My favourite film is the Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson. Every time I watch it, I realize that it’s just the escapist masterpiece I need to soothe my worries. It’s both emotionally engaging and visually delighting — keeping me laughing for a solid two hours as each new frame presents a visual masterpiece.

— Rebecca Frost, Graphics Editor

The Princess Bride (1987)

My favourite movie is The Princess Bride, because: Billy Crystal.

— Ashley Rhamey, Editorials Editor

The Cider House Rules (1985)

This movie isn’t too well known but it’s a beautiful, heartwarming and emotional story. It tackles a lot of really important issues in a blunt, direct way and the soundtrack is wonderful. The Cider House Rules is based off of one of my all-time favourite books, written by John Irving in the mid-1980s when many of the topics he discussed were still taboo. Quite frankly, you can’t really go wrong with a movie that includes Michael Caine.

— Sarina Grewal, Assistant News Editor