Students report suspicious sign-up sheets in lectures

Potential clipboard scam reported in several lectures this year

The Western Gazette photographed sign-up sheets being passed around lectures. Queen's students describe the clipboads seen in lectures this year as "exactly the same."
Karina McCallum - Western Gazette

Several Queen’s students have reported seeing suspicious sign-up sheets being passed around in lectures over the past two weeks.

In an email, Hayden Wang, CompSci ’21, told The Journal the clipboards are advertising “management positions” for the coming summer. They’ve circulated around lectures in Stirling Hall, Chernoff Hall and Duncan MacArthur Hall on West Campus.

The sheets don’t provide any information about their advertised placement, but claim they pay between $10,000 and $20,000 for full-time summer employment.

Queen’s student Nick Cheney, ArtSci ’21,  said he signed up for the position and received a “sketchy” phone call months after signing up. He said the number tried calling several times before he picked up.

When he answered, a woman on the other end requested an in-person meeting “somewhere in town.” Cheney said he doesn’t recall where.

When the woman didn’t provide any information about the employer, Cheney ended the call.

None of the students who spoke with The Journal were able to describe the individual or individuals handing out the sign-up forms.

Students began discussing the issue on a Facebook page yesterday, after the Western Gazette reported Western’s Campus Police are actively investigating similar sign-up sheets, suspected of being a scam, in lectures across the university.

According to The Gazette, the clipboards seen at Western had “grey sheets of paper with a chart and ask[ed] for first and last name, cellphone number, faculty, and city of residence for summer of 2019.”

More than 10 students and professors at Western reported seeing the clipboards, predominantly in social science buildings. They were also reported in economics, geography, sociology, health sciences, political science, computer science, mathematics, and engineering classes at Western.

When contacted, Queen’s didn’t provide comment in time for publication.

Tags: