University strikes two new vice-principal roles

Janice Hill (Kanonhsyonne) and Stephanie Simpson entered roles on Nov. 1

Newly appointed vice-principals, Stephanie Simpson (left) and Janice Hill (Kanonhsyonne) (right).
Journal File photo

Janice Hill (Kanonhsyonne) and Stephanie Simpson have accepted the new positions of associate vice-principal (indigenous initiatives and reconciliation) and associate vice-principal (human rights, equity and inclusion), respectively. 

The appointments are effective as of Nov. 1, 2018. 

The new vice-principal of Indigenous Initiatives role was introduced from a recommendation from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) Task Force, while Simpson’s new position was a result of recommendations made in the Principal’s Implementation Committee on Racism, Diversity, and Inclusion (PICRDI). 

Working with Teri Shearer, deputy provost (academic operations and inclusion), the new vice-principals will be making recommendations on equity, inclusion, and Indigenous initiatives at Queen’s.

As a member of the Turtle Clan, Mohawk Nation, Hill has worked on past campus initiatives to foster Indigenous inclusivity and visibility. Hill helped to establish the Aboriginal Teacher Education Program and served as its academic co-director from 1997-98.

In 2010, Hill became the director of Four Directions Indigenous Student Centre. Later, she was appointed as the first director of Indigenous initiatives at Queen’s in Sept. 2017, taking office in October of that year. 

“Well, I think it’s very exciting,” Hill told The Journal in an interview about the recent appointment.

“I’m honoured to have some recognition of the senior administration for the work that I’ve been doing and continue to do at the University, in terms of raising awareness around Indigenous knowledges, culture, traditions, history, and working towards reconciliation.” 

Simpson, a member of the Human Rights Office since 1996, worked in divisions including anti-racism. 

In January of 2018, Simpson was named executive director (human rights and equity offices) and university advisor on equity and human rights.

“I commend Kanonhsyonne and Ms. Simpson on their efforts to foster a more inclusive environment at Queen’s,” Shearer said in a press release. “In creating these Associate Vice-Principal positions, we are making a statement that our commitment to reconciliation, equity, and inclusion is unwavering and growing.”