News in Brief

Mitchell Hall to open Student Wellness Services, AMS hires new Judicial Affairs members

Image by: Chris Yao
The proposed space for Student Wellnes Services in May.

AMS hires new Judicial Affairs Manager, Deputy 

The AMS has hired Susie Emerson, ArtSci ’18, as the new Judicial Affairs manager, and Zoey Aliasgari as the new Judicial Affairs deputy.

Two members from the Board of Directors and one AMS permanent staff member hired Emerson.

“The AMS is delighted to have Susie join the AMS and fulfill this position,” AMS communications told The Journal in a statement. “Susie has already begun transitioning for her role and we are all looking forward to seeing her work within the Judicial Affairs Office.”

In an emailed statement to The Journal, AMS Chair for the Board of Directors Mikela Page wrote that, while Aliasgari was ratified to her new position at November’s AMS Assembly meeting, the hiring process when she was initially hired to the Judicial Affairs Office concluded last March .

Emerson was hired following the AMS Executive’s dismissal of former Judicial Affairs Manager Brandon Tyrrell last November.

SWS to open in Mitchell Hall in May

Student Health and Wellness Services (SWS) will remain in LaSalle until late May, moving to Mitchell Hall thereafter.

Health Promotion services has already made the move and is operational in the new location, but health and counselling services will continue in LaSalle until the winter semester is over.

A specific opening date has yet to be determined.

During the fall and winter semesters, SWS sees around 300 students per day—approximately 100 of these appointments mental-health related, Executive Director of SWS Jennifer Dods told The Journal in an interview.

SWS is quieter over the summer semester, which makes it a more suitable time to transition to the new location, according to Dods.

“The purpose of choosing that time to move is just to ensure that we don’t have gaps in service delivery,” Dods said. 

Dods doesn’t expect SWS will be fully closed for long when the move occurs. However, she said there could be a reduction in services for a few weeks following, adding there won’t be an increase in staffing accompanying the move to the new Côté Sharp Student Wellness Centre in Mitchell Hall.

“We anticipate having the same staffing. We’re moving our teams over, so we anticipate the same services and the same teams that we have here [at LaSalle],” Dods said. “We don’t anticipate any major changes.”

Dods said the move was to centralize wellness services on campus. SWS will be in the same building as Athletics and Recreation facilities, Faith and Spiritual Life, and the Queen’s University International Centre, among others.

“It’s collaborative and holistic and more centralized,” Dods said. “We’re excited to move there, I think the opportunity to collaborate allows us to look at health more holistically and to look at services as being beyond just the clinical features.”

AMS, Judicial Affairs, Mental health, SWS