Top faculty salaries see jump in 2018

The Journal breaks down this year’s Sunshine List

Richardson Hall.

On March 27, the province released its annual Sunshine List, disclosing the salaries of Ontario’s public employees who topped $100,000 in 2018. Here’s our breakdown.

In his last year at Queen’s, Principal Daniel Woolf’s salary increased for the first time since 2015. Woolf saw a 7.42 per cent pay increase, making his total salary for the year $415,303. 

Despite the increase, Woolf dropped from fourth to fifth place on the University’s list of highest-paid employees, marking only one of 2018’s shuffles in the school’s top ten earners.

Last year’s list, showing public employees’ salaries from 2017, aired mostly modest pay increases for the University’s top earners.

This year’s list included significant raises for some faculty.

Six of the top ten earners at Queen’s saw double-digit percentage increases in their pay. The University’s highest-paid employee, Richard Reznick, dean of the faculty of Health Sciences, earned a 21.23 per cent pay increase, netting him $517,186. 

Elspeth Murray, associate dean of MBA programs, and David Saunders, dean of the Smith School of Business, also received double-digit percentage pay increases.

Three of the university’s top ten earners in 2018 were women, a statistic that hasn’t changed in two years. With a salary of $455,467, though, Murray’s 16.25 per cent pay increase bumped her up to the second-highest-earning employee at Queen’s. 

To add to 2018’s shuffles, this year’s top ten features two new faces. John Smol, biology professor and Canada Research chair, saw a 50.63 per cent pay increase from his 2017 salary. Smol made $374,037 in 2018, putting him in ninth place on Queen’s list. 

Sean Cleary, finance professor at the Smith School of Business, saw an 11.55 per cent pay increase in 2018, kicking his salary up to $344,453 and earning him the tenth spot at Queen’s.

Among the top ten earners this year, only David Walker, the executive director of the Queen’s School of Policy Studies, saw a pay decrease. Walker’s pay fell 0.10 per cent, dropping him from the second-highest earner in 2017 to the seventh-highest in 2018.

As an employer, Queen’s University saw a 9.52 per cent income increase, earning just over $177 million in 2018. This is the largest pay increase the University has seen since 2010.

Despite the increase, Queen’s only ranked eighth out of Ontario universities and 19th out of all employers for highest revenue in 2018. 

As usual, the University of Toronto beat out the province’s other universities, taking home over $652 million in 2018 and ranking fourth out of all public employers. 

The University sector was the second-highest-paid sector in 2018, bringing in more than three billion dollars. This marks a 2.40 per cent increase from 2017.

Sunshine List