As nearly 600 plan to attend climate strike, Queen’s says it will not close

Richardson Hall on University Avenue is home to Queen's administration.

As hundreds prepare to gather on campus for Friday’s climate strike, Queen’s will not be closing its doors.

In a statement to The Journal, the University confirmed it wouldn’t cancel classes or cease operations to “facilitate participation” by students in the day’s strike.

“In part, this decision was made in recognition of the challenges an arbitrary cancellation might impose on individual instructors or programs recognizing some programs may already face scheduling pressures or challenges,” the University said.

The statement added that faculty members retain the ability to cancel classes or arrange accommodations for students wishing to participate in the strike.

“The University is committed to taking strong actions on sustainability and has been doing so for years; we recognize more can always be done and we are working diligently towards that end.”

As of Wednesday afternoon, 590 students responded to the strike’s Facebook event saying they will attend Friday’s protest, with more than 1,000 indicating their interest in attending.

Students at McMaster University—where Principal Patrick Deane served as president before returning to Queen’s—are petitioning the university to cancel classes during the Sept. 27 strike. At press time, the petition had more than 2,100 signatures.

Climate strike, Patrick Deane