At Senate, Deane says no update yet on Chown Hall police probe

The body also discussed Homecoming and performance-based funding

Senate discusses Homecoming and performance-based funding.

At Tuesday’s Senate meeting, members of Queen’s administration addressed issues ranging from the racist incident in Chown Hall to Homecoming weekend and the sexual violence policy.

The meeting opened with approval of an amendment to the Policy on Academic Integrity, which will prohibit students from providing course outlines, PowerPoint slides, study aids, tests, exams, drawings and photographs to note-sharing websites or commercial study-prep services.   

Principal’s Report

In the Principal’s Report, Patrick Deane addressed the racist incident that occurred in Chown Hall on Oct. 10, saying it “reminds us that hate and racism continues not only outside our campus, which we are very well aware of, but within our own institution.”

“There’s still a lot of work to be done here at Queen’s. It’s important not to be discouraged, despite the very troubling implications of the Chown Hall crime,” Deane said.

Deane urged the Queen’s community to unite against racism and homophobia in response to the incident, referencing the Four Directions Indigenous Student Centre’s March in Solidarity that took place on Oct. 17.

He announced Queen’s has yet to receive any police report or details about the investigation into the incident.

Deane also touched on Homecoming weekend, particularly the events of Saturday, Oct. 19.

“The large, unsanctioned street party off campus was very alarming in terms of people’s health and wellbeing, as well as to peace and good order in our neighbourhood,” Deane said. “We need to find ways to make this safer, and to discourage destructive behaviour.”

He cited student encounters with the police as one of the most problematic aspects of Homecoming.

“We need to give some thought to St. Patrick’s Day, and other ways we can best prepare for future years,” Deane said.

Provost’s Report

Tom Harris, interim provost and vice-principal (Academic), began his report by announcing a University Library review is underway. According to Harris, the review will “provide an objective assessment of the state and prospects of the next librarian.”

The reviewers will provide a written report to the University based on focus groups with library staff and written statements from meetings with faculty, staff, and student representatives. Once the report is published, the University will begin an international search for the next vice-provost (Digital Planning) and university librarian.

Harris also answered a question pertaining to the Student Choice Initiative (SCI). He reported on the status of AMS Food Bank, which is down $1,500 due to the SCI, the Sexual Assault Center Kingston, which lost $4,500, and the Queen’s Law Clinic, which lost $22,000.

Corrections

This article has been updated to remove inaccurate information pertaining to SMA3.

The Journal regrets the error

Homecoming, provincial funding, Senate recap