For third year in a row, AMS executive election uncontested

Presidential candidate Jared Den Otter and Vice-President (Operations) candidate Alexandra Samoyloff at AMS Assembly Thursday night.

For the third year in a row, the AMS executive election will be uncontested, leaving one team to vie for the confidence of a majority of voters on election day.

AMS Secretary of Internal Affairs Lucas Borchenko told The Journal four potential teams signed in at the election information session on Jan. 7, but only one team was confirmed on the ballot at AMS Assembly Thursday night.

Presidential candidate Jared Den Otter, Vice-President (Operations) candidate Alexandra Samoyloff, and Vice-President (University Affairs) candidate Alexia Henriques were added to the 2020 AMS elections ballot at Assembly last night. Henriques was absent from Assembly, attending Queen’s Model Parliament in Ottawa.

To have their names added to the ballot, candidates had to collect signatures from one per cent of the undergraduate student body, which is roughly 150 signatures. On Jan. 28 and 29, students may choose to cast a vote of confidence.

When current AMS President Auston Pierce, Vice-President (Operations) Jessica Dahanayake, and Vice-President (University Affairs) William Greene ran uncontested last January, they acknowledged a lack of student engagement on campus.

With files from Sydney Ko, Carolyn Svonkin, and Ellen Nagy