COVID-19 updates: Fourth case confirmed in Kingston

Check back here for the latest updates

Updates will appear below as we recieve information. Our news team can be reached at journal_news@ams.queensu.ca.  

Thursday, March 19:

Fourth COVID-19 case confirm in Kingston

7:25 p.m. - A local woman in her 70s who recently returned from Portugal tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday, making her the fourth case in Kingston. She is currently being treated.

The other three cases, two women and one man, tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday. There are currently 736 cases of COVID-19 in Canada.

—Raechel Huizinga

Wednesday, March 18:

Queen’s recalls students abroad

2:15 p.m. - All Queen’s students studying abroad are being recalled by the University and asked to return to their home countries.

Citing “rapidly-changing circumstances across the globe,” a University statement posted Wednesday afternoon said Queen’s will work with students and their former host universities to accommodate interrupted academic plans.

The University will also provide financial support for the changed travel plans, and can assist students in planning their trips home.

If circumstances are preventing students from leaving their current locations, they are asked to let Queen’s know by Thursday, March 19 at 9 a.m. EST. The students who return to Canada will be asked to self-isolate for 14 days upon their return in alignment with the Public Health Agency of Canada’s directives.

—Meredith Wilson-Smith

AMS Food Bank suspends operations

12:45 p.m. - The AMS Food Bank announced Wednesday it will suspend all operations from Mar. 20 until Apr. 30.

The decision to close the service was made in accordance with Principal Patrick Deane’s March 16 email recommendation that community members avoid public spaces where personal distancing of two metres or more is not possible.

Located in room 343 of the JDUC, the small parameters of the Food Bank are unable to accommodate this type of social distancing.

To ensure resources are still available to students in this time of need, the Food Bank will donate the remainder of their grocery budget for the academic year to support the Kingston Food Bank.

—Claudia Rupnik

Tuesday, March 17:

Queen’s to partially close libraries following emergency declaration

5:15 p.m. - Queen’s will close a number of different library locations until further notice, including the Union Gallery and the Maps & Air Photos library in Stauffer.

“We are in the process of reviewing all interactions carried out at our information service desks to determine what service levels will be maintained and how they will be delivered,” a statement posted Tuesday afternoon said.

The 1966 Reading Room in Douglas will also close, along with the Fireplace Reading Room in Stauffer, the W.D. Jordan Rare Books & Special Collections, the University Archives, the Queen’s Research Data Centre, and Watson Hall LINQ.

On Tuesday morning, Premier Doug Ford announced a state of emergency in Ontario, requiring a number of services—including libraries—to close.

—Raechel Huizinga

Three COVID-19 cases confirmed in Kingston

1:05 p.m. - At a Tuesday press conference, regional public health officials announced three positive COVID-19 cases in Kingston.

Speaking to reporters, Dr. Kieran Moore said two of the three cases were assessed at Kingston’s COVID-19 assessment centre. The three individuals, two females, age 44 and 62, and one male, 48, had all traveled recently, including to Spain, Barbados, and the United Kingdom.

He added the risk remains low that any of the patients had significant contact with others.

“All individuals are recovering at home and have been put on self-isolation and are being monitored by KFLA public health,” Moore said.

—Raechel Huizinga

University asks students to move out of residence by March 22

1:00 p.m. - Students living in residents were requested to move out by Sunday, March 22. Students who are unable to do so will be allowed to remain.

In an email to students sent by Leah Wales, executive director of Housing and Ancillary Services, students will eligible for compensation if they move out before the given date.

If students move out by March 22, they’ll receive a fees refund to their student account of $1,150. Students will also get $700 in flex dollars, which will carry over into the upcoming academic year.

“These amounts were determined on the basis of average room rates across all types and approximate values of the old portion of your room and board overall fees,” the email read.

Food will continue to be provided to students who choose to remain, however, they’ll need to register and receive confirmation to stay with the Residence Stay Over Form.

—Sydney Ko

Monday, March 16:

Spring convocation ceremonies cancelled

4:15 p.m. - Spring convocation will not take place this year, Principal Patrick Deane announced in an email to students on Monday afternoon.

Citing social distancing as being critical to containing the spread of COVID-19, Deane said conventional convocation ceremonies would “simply not be possible.”

“Students will graduate and degrees will be conferred, but mass gatherings of hundreds of people will likely be no less hazardous in two months’ time than they are today,” Deane wrote.

—Raechel Huizinga 

Queen’s limits all gatherings to no more than 10 people

4:15 p.m. - Principal Patrick Deane announced new COVID-19 preventative measures on Monday, limiting all gatherings, including any work-related activities, to no more than 10 people.

“We need to protect our community, which includes our staff, faculty, and students,” he wrote in a statement. “Social events and non-essential gatherings should be cancelled.”

He added that essential meetings should be moved online, and everyone should avoid public spaces where personal distancing of two metres or more is not possible.

—Raechel Huizinga 

Summer programming at the BISC scrapped

4:15 p.m. - Queen’s won’t offer summer courses at the Bader International Study Centre (BISC) in Southern England in 2020, Principal Patrick Deane announced Monday.

In a March 14 statement, Hugh Horton, executive director of the BISC, said students who chose to return home to Canada could continue their studies remotely. He added the Centre would support those who chose to stay.

“In the highly unlikely case that travel to Canada or your home country is no longer possible, you are welcome to stay at the BISC for as long as you need. I am going nowhere until everyone has gone home at end of term” Horton said.

—Iain Sherriff-Scott

Graduate programs to be delivered remotely, no in-person exams

4:15 p.m. - Queen’s graduate programs will be moved to remote delivery, Principal Patrick Deane announced in a Monday statement.

There will be no more in-person classes or labs for the duration of the term for both undergraduate and graduate courses. Additionally, there will be no in-person exams, except for comprehensive or dissertation defenses.

“Graduate student research activities should be accessed remotely whenever possible and where not, continue with appropriate social distancing,” Deane said. “Despite this change in format, our expectation is that students will complete the academic year, gaining course credits as appropriate, and those who are set to complete their programs, will do so.”

—Raechel Huizinga

Queen’s Athletics and Recreation Centre to close at 1 p.m.

11:55 a.m. - All Queen’s Athletics and Recreation Centre facilities will close Monday at 1 p.m., due to ongoing COVID-19 developments.

“COVID-19 continues to change rapidly across the world, and we want to take steps to limit the spread and risks of the disease in our community,” a statement posted Monday morning read.

Staff will be available to assist with the retrieval of personal items on Monday from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Tuesday from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.

—Raechel Huizinga

Friday, March 13:

Students in residence given go-ahead to leave campus, can come back for belongings

9:45 p.m. - Students in residence have the option to remain on campus or go home.

In an email distributed to students in residence on Friday, Director of Residence Life Kate Murray said students could either fully move out of their rooms, move out now, and collect their belongings later, or stay for the remainder of the term.

For students who choose to remain in residence, dining halls will still be open. Social distancing is being encouraged, and any students who show symptoms of COVID-19 should notify reslife@queensu.ca and begin self-isolation.

The email stated students could not host guests in residence.

Residence Life Manager (Operations) Becky Shillington also sent an email to dons on Friday, asking them to consider remaining in residence this weekend to support first-year students who are moving out.

—Raechel Huizinga

Athletics & Recreation cancels, postpones all events, programming

9:45 p.m. - Athletics & Recreation announced Friday it would cancel or postpone all events and programming effective March 14 until further notice.

This includes all Recreational and Varsity club activity, all Varsity team activities, all instructional and intramural programming, and all camps.

All large gatherings, including athletic banquets, facility rentals, and special events, have also been cancelled. The ARC and Q Sports Medicine clinic will remain open.

—Raechel Huizinga

Faculty of Arts and Science to shift in-person classes online for the remainder of the term

7:30 p.m. - Barbara Crow, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science, informed students Friday evening that on-campus classes will be canceled for the remainder of the term after courses resume on March 23.

Earlier on Friday, Principal Patrick Deane suspended undergraduate courses from March 16 to 23 while the University takes time to assess how programing will proceed. 

Crow said students would be updated as soon as possible on the faculty’s plan for delivering exams. “As a result, there is no requirement for you to be on campus for the remainder of the term,” she wrote. 

The University, including residences, libraries, and Student Wellness Services, will remain operational during the upcoming suspension.

—Iain Sherriff-Scott

SGPS rep raises concerns over School of Graduate Studies preparation 

7:30 p.m. - Allison Bonnell, SGPS representative for the Master of Industrial Relations (MIR) program, raised concerns Friday about the University’s decision to continue in-person graduate courses while suspending undergraduate courses. 

In an email statement to Fahim Quadir, dean of Graduate Studies, and other administrators, Bonnell said the school has an “ethical obligation” to explain its decision not to suspend graduate classes while doing so for undergraduate classes.

“Graduate students were provided very little information as to why this is the case, to the detriment of public and community health. Many graduate classes have large numbers of students,” she wrote. 

Bonnell noted that while some graduate faculties are shifting courses online this week, including the Smith School of Business, the same isn’t true across the School of Graduate Studies. 

“Why has it been deemed a public health risk for undergraduate classes to continue, but the same is not true of graduate classes?”

—Iain Sherriff-Scott