Engineering Society conducts remote learning survey ahead of fall term

EngSoc and Faculty of Engineering to use results for online course development

Spencer Lee

As faculties prepare to deliver courses remotely in the fall term, a new survey seeks to understand student concerns in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science (FEAS).

The Engineering Society (EngSoc) shared the survey with students on May 12 to gather feedback on remote learning and their experience during the quick transition to online courses in March.

“Given the unprecedented nature of the situation we find ourselves in, understanding the unique experience and thoughts of our students is invaluable now more than ever,” Spencer Lee, EngSoc president, wrote in a statement to The Journal.

The Society hopes the survey will give students the opportunity to share their thoughts on remote learning while the winter term remains fresh in their minds.

Having collaborated with FEAS to develop a list of questions, the results will be used to assist both organizations in planning for the fall term. 

While the survey was released prior to the University’s announcement on May 15 that courses will be delivered online in the fall term, the FEAS had already planned on using the information collected to determine the best way to deliver course material online.

“[Regarding] the accommodations that students desire, EngSoc will work with the Faculty to gauge the feasibility of all suggestions and create solutions to support all Engineering students,” Lee wrote.

Lee added that understanding what works well and what could be improved is the first step to ensuring students receive the supports they require to be successful in remote learning conditions. 

He explained receiving a large pool of responses will increase the Society’s ability to support and advocate for the needs of students.

“The fact that almost every one of our students will experience this pandemic in a unique way is a driving factor in our attempt to get as much feedback and as many responses as possible,” Lee wrote, noting that the response to the survey has been “outstanding.”

While the survey is specifically targeted towards Engineering students, he said surveys to other faculties and students would be useful in illuminating how students in different degrees are affected by the transition to remote learning.

“EngSoc and the FEAS is aware that students learn in different ways,” Lee wrote. “Recognizing the optimal methods of online learning will allow us to give students the ability to study to their full potential.”

Covid-19, Engineering Society, Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science