Queen’s Black Academic Society asks University for $12,000 minimum to support Black lives

Queen's has not responded to Society’s call for action

QBAS specified donations should not come from any Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) funds.

This story was updated with new information on June 8 at 3:30 p.m.

Together with other campus groups, the Queen’s Black Academic Society (QBAS) has raised more than $33,000 for organizations that support Black lives. Now, they’re asking Queen’s to match that.

QBAS published a call to action on June 3 asking campus groups to match their donation of $100 to an organization that supports Black lives. In the post, QBAS asked Queen’s to donate $1,000 and the AMS to donate $500. 

The AMS and other campus groups quickly made donations, bringing the total amount raised to more than $33,000 on June 8. While Queen’s released a statement on June 2 about the anti-racism protests sweeping North America, it hasn’t publicly responded to QBAS’ call to action.

The Journal has reached out to the University but has not yet received a response.

In its June 4 post, QBAS specified donations should not come from any Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) funds.

“In addition, we expect Queen's to work with student groups to combat racism at the university and commit to the fulfilment of many of the recommendations made in the Principal’s Implementation Committee on Racism, Diversity, and Inclusion (PICRDI) Report, which still have not had significant action,” the statement said.

According to QBAS, Queen’s has followed the QBAS Instagram account since its June 3 call to action but has not responded to the Society’s request. 

“If student clubs and groups can band together and donate $11,000, Queen’s University should not only be able to donate $1,000, but also match all of our donations for a total of $12,000.”

This story is developing and will be updated with more information.