Undergraduate acceptances increase 14 per cent for 2020-21

Acceptances among international students drop 13 per cent

0.6 per cent more students applied for 2020-21.

Despite concerns about the possible impact of COVID-19 on enrolment in 2020-21, the University maintains it’s on track to meet targets.

For the upcoming school year, Queen’s received more than 46,000 applications for 4,700 first-year spots. As of June 1, the acceptance target for the year has been met—overall acceptances are up 14 per cent from last year and the rate of acceptances for graduate programs have also increased compared to this time last year.

However, acceptances among international students are down 13 per cent from last year. The University, which had identified a possible decrease in international enrolment as a risk to enrolment targets in April, attributes the drop to the pandemic. 

“We anticipate a potentially higher summer attrition rate than in past years, due to the ongoing pandemic,” Mark Green, provost and vice-principal (academic), wrote in a statement to The Journal. “We will not be able to confirm our fall enrolment numbers until early to mid-October, but we are in a fairly good position at the moment.”

READ MORE: While tuition unaltered, Queen’s reduces summer student fees

According to final numbers released by the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC), 29,219 Ontario students applied to Queen’s undergraduate programs this year. This total reflects a 0.6 per cent increase from last year’s 29,055.

Though the University is still analyzing applicant trends, according to OUAC, acceptances among self-identified Indigenous students are up 23 per cent and acceptances among self-identified First-Generation students are up 51 per cent from last year.

“Students from across Canada and around the world come to Queen’s, and we are taking steps to ensure our campus continues to attract and support students from diverse backgrounds,” Green wrote.

He noted that, in recent years, the University has introduced new measures to make Queen’s more accessible to Indigenous and First-Generation students.

READ MORE: University launches Promise fund for low-income students

Residence applications among first-year students are up seven per cent from last year. Due to the physical distancing guidelines expected in September, residences will operate at half capacity in the fall term—only 2,300 students will be accommodated in single rooms. 

During the week of July 13, applicants will receive an email confirming whether or not they will be offered a space in residence. Rooms will be offered on a priority basis. 

Priority groups include students admitted to programs with on-campus classes or under specialized pathways, students with personal circumstances creating barriers to academic success in a remote learning context, and those who require access to on-campus support services.

Other changes will be made to the residence environment to ensure public health guidelines are met, including restrictions on gatherings and the virtual delivery of residence educational programming.

According to Green, there are 78 upper-year students planning to live in residence in the fall. Their application process happened earlier this year.

“We are communicating regularly with our incoming class and will continue to provide ongoing support, including academic and non-academic transition programming to help prepare our first year class for starting their studies at Queen’s,” the University wrote in a statement to The Journal.

Covid-19, Enrolment, Residence