Queen’s confirms four new positive cases of COVID-19

University launches tracker, Public Health raises community status to yellow

The new cases include three students living off-campus and one student in residence.

The University confirmed four new cases of COVID-19 in the Queen’s community on Friday afternoon.

The University was informed by Kingston, Frontenac, and Lennox & Addington (KFL&A) Public Health of the new cases, who said all four students are self-isolating and following appropriate protocol.

READ MORE: Student in residence tests positive for COVID-19

This is the second student living in residence who has tested positive for the virus, following the first case which was announced on Thursday afternoon.

KFL&A Public Health is still investigating and will contact any close contacts of the     positive cases. 

Acknowledging the increase in cases in the Kingston region, KFL&A Public Health raised the community status from green to yellow. 

According to the University, the yellow community status of COVID-19 indicates the region has “a few active positive cases, less than two active outbreaks, full local hospitality capacity, cases and contacts are being reached within 24 hours of notification of positive test results, and there is high testing capacity (community swabbing has increased).”

KFL&A Public Health is also ordering all individuals who have been in close contact with someone who has the virus, develop symptoms of COVID-19, or who test positive for the virus to self-isolate for 14 days. The self-isolation order has been in place since June 30. 

Those who are required to self-isolate by Public Health and choose not to can be charged and fined up to $5,000 per day.

READ MORE: Queen’s tests 400 students at COVID-19 testing centre in first week

The University also launched an official webpage tracking the number of COVID-19 cases they become aware of in the Queen’s community. 

The statistics will only reflect positive cases of COVID-19 within the Queen’s community in the KFL&A region, as confirmed by the University over the course of the noted week.

The tracker currently indicates that five cases of COVID-19 have been reported to the University this week.

The statistics will be updated daily at approximately 2 p.m. from Monday to Friday. 

Students who report feeling ill should self-isolate and contact Public Health. More information on appropriate protocols is available on Queen’s COVID-19 Information website at www.queensu.ca/covidinfo.

Covid-19