Queen’s chooses Examity, Proctor Track for upcoming exams

Students encouraged to prepare workspaces, familiarize themselves with the proctoring services

Exam schedules are set to be posted on OnQ on Oct. 9.

While students adjust to remote learning, they should also be preparing for an entirely remote exam period.

Queen’s has selected Examity and Proctor Track as its two proctoring services after determining that both services meet the privacy and security requirements of the University.

Both platforms have been used by Queen’s in the last few years and will continue to be used going forward to ensure the integrity of exams.

The fall term exam schedule will be posted on OnQ on Oct. 9.

The Journal spoke with Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning) John Pierce and Director (Engineering Teaching and Learning Team) Eric Tremblay about what students can expect from the upcoming remote exam season.

In the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science (FEAS), Tremblay said the first-year engineering cohort has participated in three proctored events so far this term to test the technology.

He explained that using the proctoring software for smaller assessments helps the first-year cohort become familiar with the technology that will be used to proctor their final exams. The system also allows the FEAS to determine how much technical support is needed during these proctored events.

READ MORE: Challenges with remote exam delivery cause stress during finals

Tremblay said, while students are completing proctored assignments, they don’t want to wait for technical support. He said the trials have allowed them to determine how much support needs to be available and how quickly they’re able to deliver it to students experiencing obstacles.

He added there were fewer calls for support from students with each additional proctored event they participated in.

For students who haven’t been required to test the proctoring service in class, Pierce recommended independently testing the technology by completing the test quizzes offered through each proctoring platform.

Tremblay and Pierce both said the benefit of testing the technology ahead of time is removing some of the stress from the experience of writing final exams because it allows students to familiarize themselves with the platforms.

Pierce recommended students begin preparing for the remote exam experience by thinking carefully about the workspace they’ll use when writing the exam.

The University’s guideline on academic considerations related to technical failures or in-the-moment interruptions that occur during a proctored assessment only accounts for unpredictable and random occurrences. In these instances, instructors are supposed to work with individual students to address the issue.

READ MORE: Heading home for Thanksgiving? Provost reminds students to travel safely

These accommodations don’t apply to chronic failures, including persistently unstable internet connection or consistently noisy environments.

While some courses have continued to pursue remote proctoring this term, Pierce said others have shifted final assessments into other formats.

Though he couldn’t provide specifics, he said a number of programs in the Faculty of Arts and Science­—particularly the humanities—have moved away from proctored exams.

Tremblay said the FEAS also reduced the number of proctored events this semester, adding that the evaluations replacing proctored exams are more authentic assessments designed to test skills directly related to the workforce.

Want to see more like this? Subscribe to our newsletter, Campus Catch-Up to receive regular updates right in your inbox.