Law faculty board votes in favour of de-naming Sir John A. Macdonald hall

Board voted 29 to three to remove Macdonald’s name from the building

The law building is currently named after Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada’s first Prime Minister.

Returning to the subject of Sir John A. Macdonald’s lasting presence on campus, the Faculty of Law’s faculty board voted 29 to three on Sept. 18 to remove Macdonald’s name from the law building.

The faculty board consists of professors, students, administrators, and staff. Five members also abstained from voting. 

READ MORE: Faculty of Law begins community consultation on de-naming Sir John A. Macdonald Hall

The faculty board’s vote is one of the methods Mark Walters, dean of the Faculty of Law, used to collect information for his recommendation for the future of the building’s name. 

The community was also given the opportunity to provide feedback through an online survey, which concluded Sept. 18.

Walters was scheduled to present his report and recommendation to Principal Patrick Deane by Oct. 1. 

READ MORE: De-naming Macdonald Hall: In conversation with Mark Walters

Deane will then present his own recommendation to the Board of Trustees, which retains the sole authority to change the names of buildings on campus. The various recommendations provided at each stage will remain confidential until they’re presented to the board. 

A separate consultation on deciding a new name for the building will be conducted if the board decides the current name should be removed or changed.

Want to see more like this? Subscribe to our newsletter, Campus Catch-Up, to receive regular updates right in your inbox.