Queen’s ranks fifth nationally in Maclean’s medical-doctoral category

Maclean’s releases 2021 Canadian university rankings

Image by: Maia McCann
Maclean’s rankings looked at different aspects of the university experience.

Maclean’s magazine released its Canadian university rankings for 2021 on Oct.8, where Queen’s placed fifth in the medical-doctoral ranking, tying with the University of Alberta. 

The top schools in the medical-doctoral category are those with a broad range of PhD programs and research and medical schools. 

Out of 15 universities with medical-doctoral programs, Queen’s ranked fifth for the third consecutive year. It followed McGill University, the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, and McMaster University. 

To determine the rankings, five categories were considered: students, faculty, resources, student support, and reputation. Queen’s ranked second in faculty awards, third in student satisfaction, fifth in student awards and scholarships and bursaries, and sixth in medical/science grants. 

READ MORE: Principal Deane calls Queen’s global rankings ‘depressing

Queen’s placed seventh out of 49 universities in the national reputational ranking for the third year in a row. For the national ranking, university faculty and administrators were surveyed on their views of innovation and qualities of their universities. 

The national rankings are made up of three categories: highest quality, most innovative, and leaders of tomorrow, where Queen’s placing sixth, seventh, and ninth, respectively. 

Maclean’s also asked 14,000 students across Canada to participate in a Student Satisfaction Survey about their university experiences to provide an indication of overall student satisfaction. 

Queen’s repeated last year’s third-place position in medical-doctoral satisfaction, trailing Université de Sherbrooke and Université Laval. 

Overall, Queen’s placed in the top five for categories including extracurricular activities, experiential learning, residence living, course instructors and academic advising staff, and student life. 

Queen’s placed fifth among the Canadian universities in the student satisfaction survey for its promotion of Indigenous visibility. 

READ MORE: AMS President demands more respect from University administrators

Maclean’s also assessed the quality of nine programs in the sciences and social sciences where Queen’s programs ranked top 10 in categories including biology, business, nursing, engineering, education, computer science, and environmental science. 

While Queen’s ranked highly in Maclean’s compared to other national institutions, its international rankings are still falling behind those of other Canadian universities.

The Times Higher Education Rankings released earlier this year shows Queen’s ranking in the envelope of 251-300, whereas the University of Toronto was ranked 18, McMaster University ranked 69, the University of Ottawa ranked 145, and the University of Waterloo ranked 201-250. 

Another ranking, the Academic Ranking of World Universities, put Queen’s within the 201-300 range, approximately 100 places behind Waterloo, Ottawa, Montreal, and Calgary. 

In the QS World University Rankings, Queen’s has dropped from 181 to 264 over the course of eight years.

Queen's Medical School, rankings