As Kingston reaches 100 active cases, Queen’s reports 27 off-campus

At least two cases linked to house parties in University District

Students who attended a party last weekend are encouraged to get tested.

Queen’s has reported 27 cases of COVID-19 during the week of Dec. 7-13, all located off-campus, marking the highest weekly case count since the pandemic began. At least two of those cases are linked to house parties in the University District that happened Dec. 4 to 5.

Over the past week, Kingston, Frontenac, and Lennox & Addington (KFL&A) Public Health is reportied 100 active cases in the region, which is still sitting in the yellow community status. By Monday morning, the total number of active cases had dropped to 93. 

READ MORE: Some international students at Queen’s face a winter break away from home

A house party with 35 to 40 people in attendance took place on William St. last weekend, according to Kingston Police. The party’s host was fined $880. 

Queen’s has reported a total of 54 cases since Aug. 31, with 28 of those cases resolved. Since the pandemic began, KFL&A has reported a total of 375 cases. 

The Queen’s Satellite COVID-19 Testing Centre in Mitchell Hall was set to close on Dec. 10 for the winter break, however, it remained open for limited hours on Thursday and Friday in response to the spike in student cases. It will re-open for regular hours on Jan. 10. 

Students can get tested at the Kingston community Beechgrove location during this period, which is open daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Appointments at this location must be booked online.

Want to see more like this? Subscribe to our newsletter, Campus Catch-Up to receive regular updates right in your inbox.

Covid-19