Queen’s secures an increase of $258,000 in mental health funding

Funds to support crisis nurse, mental health triage personnel, and Therapy Assistance Online

The Province increased mental health funding to post-secondary institutions.

Thanks to increased funding from the Ontario government, Queen’s will be increasing mental health supports for students.

The Province is investing $19.25 million in mental health supports at post-secondary institutions in 2020-21. This amount reflects a $3.25 million increase from 2019-20 when it invested $16 million.

Specifically, Ontario is investing $5.16 million in Good2Talk, $500,000 in the Centre for Innovation in Campus Mental Health, $4.45 million in the Mental Health Worker Grant, $6 million in the Mental Health Services Grant, $500,000 in the Indigenous Institutes Mental Health Grant, and $250,000 in Get-A-Head.

READ MORE: Sexual Health Team launches initiative to promote safe sex during COVID-19 crisis 

The remaining funds will help develop various partnerships and access to mental health resources across Ontario.

The grants given to Queen’s total about $258,000. In a statement to The Journal, Cynthia Gibney, executive director of Student Wellness Services, called it a “modest increase.” 

The funding will be used to support a crisis nurse, mental health triage personnel, and the implementation of Therapy Assistance Online, an interactive online library of wellness pathways, according to Gibney.

“Th[e] funding […] is being used to directly support our students,” Gibney wrote.

Want to see more like this? Subscribe to our newsletter, Campus Catch-Up to receive regular updates right in your inbox.