AMS services reopen for business

Common Ground, Tricolour Outlet, Student Life Centre reopen three-weeks post-lockdown

CoGro is now open, with a renovated storefront.

Three weeks after the province-wide lockdown was lifted and Kingston entered the green zone, some AMS services are set to reopen. 

According to AMS Vice-President (Operations) Alexandra Samoyloff’s report to AMS Assembly on Feb. 25, some services’ reopening dates were delayed because staff needed to be in the Kingston, Frontenac, and Lennox and Addington (KFL&A) region for 14 days prior to returning to their positions on campus.

“We are following a 14-day isolation rule if staff leave the KFL&A area. Therefore, with reading week and folks potentially going home, we did not have enough staff to safely open as the lockdown was lifted," Samoyloff wrote in a statement to The Journal. 

According to Samoyloff, all services that are reopening were open prior to the lockdown imposed in December. 

READ MORE: Bus-It Program terminated for 2021-22 academic year

Services that are reopening this week include Common Ground Coffeehouse (CoGro), which reopened on Tuesday with a newly renovated storefront; Tricolour Outlet, which will reopen for curbside pickup on March 8; and the Student Life Centre, which will also open on March 8. 

Essential services that remain open include: the AMS Food Bank; the Peer Support Centre (PSC), which remains available to students at its regular hours over Zoom; and StudioQ, which is completing its projects remotely. 

The Printing and Copy Centre (P&CC) is also open with limited hours and products until March, with curbside pickup and delivery options. Walkhome reopened on Feb. 20 and is continuing operations as usual.

“All services will be following their operating plans approved by the Campus Operations Group in 2020,” Samoyloff wrote in a statement to The Journal. “These plans outline all safety precautions and guidelines, most of which follow Orange Zone guidelines.”

“All services will be operating as they did in prior to the lockdown. All staff are briefed on the protocols prior to working and required to stay home if feeling unwell.”