As cases spike, Public Health extends class order to April 30

Social gatherings over five people prohibited both indoors and outdoors 

The order affects all individuals and food establishments.
Credit: 
Journal File Photo

Kingston, Frontenac, and Lennox and Addington (KFL&A) Public Health announced Wednesday it’s extending the five person limit on gatherings due to the recent increase in COVID-19 cases.

The Class Order is in accordance with Section 22 of the Ontario Health Protection and Promotion Act, 1990, and was first put in place for the period of March 13-21. However, the revised order will now also be effective from March 22 to April 30.

The order affects all individuals and food establishments in the City of Kingston. Those who fail to comply with the order can be fined up to $5,000 for every day or part of a day on which the offence occurs.

 “Cases are increasing at a concerning rate in the City of Kingston and it is clear we must take further action to protect our community,” Dr. Kieran Moore, medical officer of health at KFL&A Public Health, said in a press release.

“We are extending this class order and asking everyone to adhere to these social gathering limitations.” 

READ MORE: KFL&A Public Health cracks down on St. Patrick’s Day celebrations

The order prohibits indoor and outdoor social gatherings with more than five people. 

Businesses serving alcohol must require that all patrons are seated when served, with a maximum of five people at each table. Each person must provide their contact information. 

Line ups must follow the capacity limits, two-metre physical distancing, and masking guidelines.

Dancing and karaoke are also not allowed, and music must be kept to a volume low enough to allow for “normal conversation.” 

The revised order no longer affects the hours in which businesses may serve alcohol or remain open.

“We have come so far, and as we provide increasing immunity to our community through immunization, we must all be vigilant and keep our community safe,” Moore said. “It is important to remember to stay home, stay local, stay safe, save lives.”

Though Kingston remains in the green zone, the order was extended because of the recent increase in COVID-19 cases in the City of Kingston.

KFL&A Public Health is reporting 15 new COVID-19 cases today including: four females and four males in their 20s, under investigation; three females aged 10 to 19, under investigation; one male and one female aged 10 to 19, outbreak related; one female aged 10 to 19, close contact; and one female in their forties.

Three new variant of concern cases have been identified. There are 53 active cases in the region.

Queen’s is reporting 33 active cases of COVID-19 as of Wednesday afternoon, including 10 in residence and 23 off-campus.

There have been eight new cases of COVID-19 at Queen’s during the week of March 15-21 so far, according to the University’s case tracker.

Tags: 

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to journal_editors@ams.queensu.ca.

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.