Queen’s Rector resigns

Sam Hiemstra has stepped down from role to focus on personal well-being

Hiemstra expressed his gratitude to the Queen's community for their support and understanding.

On April 30, Sam Hiemstra, ArtSci ’21, announced he is stepping down as the 37th Rector in an open letter addressed to the university community. His resignation came into effect on May 1.

In his announcement, Hiemstra said due to mental health struggles and difficulties completing academic work, he will be focusing on his personal well-being.

“Beyond this is a plea to reach out and make the often-difficult decision of asking for help,” Hiemstra wrote. “University culture demands a certain amount of excellence but should also be embracing the power of admitting weakness and fault.” 

The Rector serves as confidential support for all Queen’s students. A position unique to the University, some of the Rector’s duties include serving as the representative to Queen’s for matters pertaining to education on behalf of all undergraduate and graduate students and attending various ceremonial functions.

Despite his resignation, Hiemstra noted the success he achieved as Rector this past year. He expressed gratitude for the community’s understanding and support.

“I want to thank everyone who has been there for me on this journey and those who will continue the important work beyond my departure.”  

Mental health, Rector