Principal Deane speaks on COVID-19 pandemic in India

Deane states Queen’s support ‘can never be stopped at national boundaries’

University offers support for members affected by COVID-19 pandemic in India.

On Tuesday, Principal Patrick Deane issued a message offering support for members of the Queen’s community affected by the state of the COVID-19 pandemic in India.

“Our university is home to many students, staff, and faculty from India, many who still have close ties and family living there,” Deane wrote in his message. “The university is committed to assisting those affected in any way it can.”

Since the onset of the pandemic, India’s official count of COVID-19 cases has surpassed 20 million, with more than 220,000 deaths. A shortage of medical supplies such as oxygen tanks and a surge in case numbers has overwhelmed the country’s health care system.

“It is critical that we support each other in any way we can, and our compassion and practical support, like the virus which calls it forth, can never be stopped at national boundaries,” Deane said.

According to the press release, the University is committed to assisting those affected by this event by hosting an online support session for Indian and Pakistani students over Zoom on May 6. Other supports can be accessed by contacting the Queen’s University International Centre and Student Wellness Services.

“The Queen’s University International Centre is a source of support for South Asian students, and Student Affairs continues to offer counselling to students in need,” reads Deane’s message.