JDUC redevelopment to start ‘on schedule’

University has raised $4.8 million of $10 million goal

JDUC redevelopment anticipated to be completed by August 2024.

Despite initial setbacks in fundraising, the JDUC redevelopment project is set to begin in May 2022.

Queen’s announced in February that the project start date would be delayed by a year due to a failure to obtain sufficient funding.

The University will be contributing $11.8 million to the $62.3 million development project, with $1.8 million stemming from its operating funds and the remaining $10 million coming from donor funds.

In February, the University had raised $3 million for the project. According to the University, this number has increased to $4.8 million as of September 2021.

The University didn’t comment on when it expects to have the remainder of funding in place, but indicated the Advancement Office is continuing to solicit donations.

Students will pay the remaining $50.5 million for the project over the next 25 years through a student fee, as decided in undergraduate and graduate referendums in February 2018 and January 2019. A $40 fee was established in September 2020 to fund the project. This fee is set to increase to $73.92 following the beginning of construction.

“The project design has been finalized and a Site Plan Application has been submitted to the City of Kingston for approval. We anticipate issuing the tender for a general contractor in early 2022,” Mark Erdman, manager of community relations and issues, wrote in an email to The Journal.

Queen’s has also announced the project is targeting a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification.

The University anticipates the project to be completed by August 2024.

JDUC, JDUC revitalization