Sole rector candidate talks accessibility & communication

Morcos to focus on smooth transition to in-person learning

Only one candidate to run for 38th Rector position.
Supplied by Maya Morcos

Following a successful nomination period at the first AMS Assembly on Sept. 21, Maya Morcos, Health Sci ’24, is the only candidate running for the 38th Rector position.

On Sept. 25, The Journal sat down with Morcos to discuss the four main pillars of her platform. Pillars include accessibility and communications, improving equity and social justice on campus, transitioning back to in-person learning and mending the relationship between the university and the Kingston community.

“I realized that the student body is in need of an accessible and easy method to report their ideas and grievances to the governing bodies of Queen’s,” Morcos said.

“I’m hoping to implement an anonymous online system that allows students to report anything they would like to communicate with the rector.”

If elected, Morcos added she will record interactions with individual students to ensure she can “remain accountable.”

Morcos also wants to support clubs and give back to the community.

“I want to holistically examine the current situation at the university, and seek ways to improve it,” she said.

“This would entail looking at policy and working with clubs and organizations that already share this common goal, so that as a team we can accomplish much more than we would in isolation.”

As the university returns to in-person learning, Morcos said an efficient transition remains one of her top priorities.

“I have a series of goals that are tied to the main pillars of my platform, but as a dominant goal I want to focus on helping us transition out of the pandemic promptly,” she explained.

“I want to keep mental health and accessibility in mind throughout this transition, as the last two years have been hard on us all.”

Morcos added she hopes to gather opinions from the community for ideas and ways to make the transition easier for everyone. Despite being “relatively new” to campus, she’s determined to represent the student body to the fullest.

“I’m really hoping it’ll be a collaborative type of role in which I can get students ideas and perspectives to really get a sense of the true issues that are bothering students, and be able to advocate for them,” Morcos said.

“I’m hoping to learn from past rectors and get in touch with them for any advice. That could prepare me for the immense responsibility that this role entails.”

Morcos said while she’s the only candidate running for the rector position, she hopes students still go out and vote.

“I want students to feel like it is their right and responsibility to go out and vote anyways, just so they can learn about my platform and what I can help them do.”