A&R updates ARC health and safety protocols

Gym users now able to enter ARC facilities on a ‘walk-up’ and ‘drop-in’ basis

ARC users are now able to use gym facilities without prior booking

In accordance with the Ontario Government’s Plan to Safely Reopen Ontario and Manage COVID-19 for the Long-Term, Queen’s Athletics and Recreation (A&R) has released an updated set of health and safety guidelines for the ARC’s gym facilities.

A total of 11 updates were implemented on Oct. 29 when the provincial guidelines officially came into effect.

According to the new set of guidelines, facility users will no longer have to book access to the ARC in advance and entry to the premises is now permitted on a “walk-up” basis.

The facility’s entrance has been relocated to the ARC’s main gate inside the Queen’s Centre. Prior to admittance, users will be required to provide proof of vaccination and swipe their student or membership card, as well as complete a COVID-19 screening test through the SeQure app.

Once inside the ARC, users can travel freely throughout the facility and are permitted to use whatever equipment they require. Use of such equipment has returned to a “first come, first serve” basis, and no time limit will be imposed on attendants in their use of gym equipment.

As of Nov. 1, the free use of changerooms, showers, and day-access lockers will also be resumed.

Facility users will still be required to wear masks at all times unless performing a physical activity. Gymgoers are encouraged to mind the personal space of others and remain respectful in the use of the gym’s equipment.

Users must also clean equipment before and after use, place personal belongings in designated totes—which also must be cleaned pre- and post-usage—as well as stretch in designated areas and properly follow signage postings & traffic flow patterns.

In addition the ARC’s gym facilities, A&R also released a new set of guidelines pertaining to the use of the ARC’s pools and aquatic programs.

ARC users no longer have to pre-book lane swims for access to the pool or aquatic programs and are permitted to arrive on a “drop-in” basis for desired activities.

Pool users are now able to use the ARC’s changerooms prior to getting in the pool—and are required to have a warm shower with soap before entering the pool deck.

Lanes are split into designated “single” and “double” lane configurations, with pool users allowed to express preference for a particular lane based on their speed and experience. However, real-time lane assignments are made at the discretion of on-duty lifeguards.

As with the ARC’s other gym facilities, swimmers must wear a mask at all times when not swimming and are encouraged to respect the personal space of others whilst in the pool and on the pool deck.

According to A&R, further adjustments to the ARC’s configuration will be made in tandem with provincial regulations, public health guidelines, and the University’s own discretion if and when they change in the future.