Queen’s confers honorary degrees

Indigenous community leader amongst the awardees

Honorary degrees awarded to individuals with global and local impact.  

This article discusses the atrocities committed in Residential Schools and may be triggering for some readers. Those seeking support may contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives and Reconciliation or Four Directions. For immediate assistance, the National Indian Residential School Crisis Hotline can be reached at 1-866-925-4419.

On Nov. 17, Queen’s conferred five honorary degrees in a live-streamed event. The event also recognized Raymond Mason as an honorary degree recipient in October. 

Honorary degrees are granted based on an individual’s contributions to their local community, global communities, and Canadian society.

Mason, born in Peguis First Nation, is a survivor of the residential school system who has worked to seek justice and compensation for fellow survivors. He formed Spirit Wind Inc., which pushed for an official apology from the Government of Canada for its role in the residential school system. 

Mason also testified before parliament on behalf of survivors in a class action lawsuit, which led to the Indian Residential School Agreement—a key step towards forming the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. 

Among the honorary degrees being conferred, three Doctor of Science degrees were awarded to Heather Ross, Terrence Sullivan, and Neil Turok. 

Ross is currently the site lead for the Ted Rogers Centre for Heart Research. Sullivan is a behavioural scientist and a professor at the University of Toronto. Turok is a physicist who has researched the field of cosmology at various institutions.

Additionally, Daniel Bader received an honorary Doctorate of Law (LLD) for his work spearheading the Bader Foundation, which has donated to philanthropic initiatives around the world. Bader is also an active member of the Queen’s Board of Trustees. 

Brenda Trenowden was awarded an LLD for her work in culture consulting. Trenowden has worked to improve corporate diversity and advocate for the economic empowerment of women. 

Bader, honorary degree