AMS Charity Month raises $2,500

Funds and supplies will go to Kingston Youth Shelter

Image supplied by: Supplied by the AMS
AMS plans to host second Charity Month in March.

“I expected support from our community, just not this much support,” AMS Vice President (Operations) Tiana Wong said in an interview with The Journal.

In November, the AMS and its services worked to give back to the Kingston community by raising $2,500 and filling eight donation bins with hygiene products, clothing, and school supplies for the Kingston Youth Shelter.

The month-long fundraiser, called Charity Month, was organized by Wong with the goal of benefiting a local organization selected by AMS senior management.

“[AMS] services were allowed to support Charity Month in any way they thought was within their means, whether it was collecting donations or just raising awareness,” Wong said.

The flexibility of fundraising options allowed each organization to come up with their own strategy to raise money.

“WalkHome had a TikTok dance nomination, where you could donate some money and nominate a fellow WalkHome employee to do a TikTok dance,” Wong explained.

“At our retail services like CoGro [Common Ground Coffeehouse], the P&CC [Printing & Copy Centre], and Tricolour [Outlet], customers were asked if they were willing to add $1 to their receipt or to their bill to be donated [… and] our Queen’s Student Constables ran an internal fundraiser.”

READ MORE: AMS hosts Charity Month

Wong said she was most impressed by how eager the Queen’s community was to chip in for a good cause.

“The Queen’s community is more willing to support and donate causes within our community than I had thought. The amount of people who are willing to add a small amount to their bill was just overwhelming.”

Using what she learned in November, Wong plans to host another Charity Month later this year, whose beneficiaries have yet to be decided.

“I am hoping to run another charity month in the month of March, if we are able to return in-person and have some people back on campus,” Wong said.

“I think [returning to campus] will be the main difference between a successful charity month or not, so I have already got plans in the works for the next one.”

Wong credited the student body for their generosity in making November’s Charity Month successful.

“I am very grateful to everyone in our community who was willing to donate $1 to the cause, and that we have such a giving community. When we can really work together, it makes a huge difference for those who need it.”

AMS, Charity month