Rector position to be filled in March despite AMS’ reluctance last semester

AMS president sets out ‘clear expectations’ for Rector candidates

Rector election to be held in March.

In January’s AMS Assembly, AMS secretariat Laura Devenny announced the 38th Rector election will be held in March after months of vacancy, with voting scheduled for Mar. 20 to 21.

The Rector sits on the Board of Trustees and the Senate. They serve as a point of contact between students and the University.

This decision came after AMS President Zaid Kasim’s said last semester the student society will not be holding another Rector election until the University established better support system for the position.

Read more: AMS Fall-in-Review

“While an election was scheduled for September 2022, no candidates were on the ballot. This made it clear to the AMS that there was more work to be done with the position, as there have been fundamental issues with the Office of the Rector,” Kasim wrote in an email sent to The Journal.

Kasim said the position has “faced a lack of support” between the University, the AMS, and the SGPS.

“While the Rector is a key facet to student life, we recognized that the stress put on the student, and the lack of support by the University made it difficult to have confidence that the position could continue without the proper resources and systems,” Kasim wrote.

Kasim said the AMS will continue to advocate for the position by creating more resources for the Rector. Some of these efforts include creating “clear expectations for candidates” and “increased support” from the University Secretariat’s office.

“The University does not have the infrastructure in place to run a Rector election, and thus the onus falls on the largest conveyor of student-wide elections and referenda, the AMS,” Kasim wrote.

“We are confidence [sic] now that the position has been strengthened and the office is ready to house a new incumbent.”

More information on the Rector election can be found on the AMS website.