Queen’s ranks seventh internationally in Times Higher Education Impact Rankings

Queen’s ranks between 301 and 400 for ‘quality education’ metric

SDG report reveals an optimistic ranking for Queen’s.

Queen’s University placed seventh in the international Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings.

THE ranks 1,500 higher education institutions on the 17 United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). A university’s contribution to its community’s broader social and economic goals is the basis for its Impact Rating.

This year is the second time Queen’s has placed in the top 10. Last year, Queen’s ranked fifth place globally, the highest rank of any school in Canada. Western University was the highest-ranked Canadian institution this year, placing third overall.

“I am incredibly proud of the Queen’s community for this repeat stellar performance,” Principal Patrick Deane said in a press release. “The ranking recognizes the sustained impact we are having in our local and global communities.”

University and community initiatives made an impact on Queen’s ranking this year.

Queen’s was ranked second worldwide for SDG 1 (No Poverty), citing the Commitment Scholars program: a financial award for incoming students from marginalized backgrounds. Swipe it Forward, a peer-to-peer meal donation program, was also mentioned.

The university ranked second for SDG 16 (Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions) for its membership in the Scholars at Risk program. According to the press release, this program allows scholars whose lives, freedom, and well-being are threatened to become temporary researchers at Queen’s.

Queen’s came third place in the rankings for SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities).

According to the press release, this placing is due to support for physical spaces on campus, namely public access to green spaces and cultural facilities, like the Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts and the Agnes Etherington Art Centre.

Queen’s ranked between 301 and 400 for SDG 4 (Quality Education). According to THE’s website, SDG 4 investigates a university’s contribution to lifelong learning, as well as pedagogy and research committed to “inclusive education.”

In the press release, Deane spoke about the importance of the rankings in future university initiatives.

“[The ranking] also serves to inspire future action fueled by our collective intellectual curiosity, passion to achieve, and commitment to collaboration—key to our mission and values,” Deane said.

academic, Impact, Queen's University, rankings, SDG, Times Higher Education