SOLUS upgraded to fluid interface

Queen’s student discusses personal experience with the site

Image by: Curtis Heinzl
Queen’s updated SOLUS to ‘enhance the user experience.’

Queen’s IT Services released a newer, more interactive SOLUS interface for users to access on June 13. 

IT Services shut down SOLUS from June 10-13 to update the website—users were unable to log into SOLUS during the outage. According to IT Services, SOLUS was upgraded to a new fluid model: designed to be simple, intuitive, and better-looking, with a better structure and easier navigation.

SOLUS fluid web designers built the new site with a ‘mobile-first’ design, starting with a design that puts smaller, more accessible devices first, and slowly working their way to larger devices. 

The SOLUS update only affects the student self-serve components of SOLUS—the administrative components are not affected. It also provides a more functional mobile and tablet experience, according to IT Services.

“The main goal of the planned update is to enhance the user experience and provide seamless access via mobile devices,” IT Services wrote.

Max Freeman, ArtSci ’25, spoke to The Journal about the transition between the old SOLUS and the new,  fluid SOLUS.

“After I got the hang of the [old SOLUS] it was okay, but it took a while to figure it out. The website is not user-friendly and, as a high school student already nervous for my first year, it did not make me feel welcome or reassured,” Freeman said.

Freeman also said the old SOLUS was confusing and found it difficult to find new information.

“I always had to ask for help or look through explanations on Queen’s websites,” Freeman said.

When asked what he would like changed, Freeman emphasized the need for a better visual appearance, namely larger fonts for better directory and a menu at the top of the interface instead of information “hiding on the side.” 

The fluid approach is geared towards fixing issues students like Freeman faced in the past, such as difficult navigation due to dated visuals and a cluttered interface.

Freeman also said he would like to see other Queen’s affiliated sites, such as onQ, visually and structurally updated.