‘Soccer is a goofy game’: Women’s Soccer ties uOttawa

Scoreboard reads 1-1 as sun sets in Ottawa

Women’s soccer remains undefeated.
Supplied by Robin Kasem

On Friday Sept. 9, Women’s Soccer had their third game of the regular season.

What was already a highly anticipated match-up was intensified by the stacked stands; Matt Anthony Field was standing room only as the game began.

After watching the Gaels pull off an insane win against Ontario Tech and out-play the Ravens in their last two matchup, Queen’s fans were itching to see how this match would pan out.

“It’s one of the games you look forward to every year on the calendar; I wish we played them every game to be honest […] We know they’ll be one of the best teams in the country,” Head Coach Dave McDowell said in an interview with The Journal.

At the start of the game, both teams struggled to hold possession long enough to make an impact. The matchup was even and fierce.

Finally, uOttawa broke through Queen’s defense and put some pressure on net. Kirsten Tynan, however, didn’t fold. Her confidence in net helped keep the Gaels afloat until they hit their stride; she made critical saves and helped set up plays throughout the first half.

By the 14-minute mark, the Gaels had a good shot off, and from there they started to hold more possession as they had some good corner attempts and piled on the pressure.

The Gee Gee defense was unrufflable. Jenna Matsukubo’s speed couldn’t shake them, and Cecelia Way was struggling to set up plays against the uOttawa back line.

There were efforts to adjust to open up chances for Way, Matsukubo, and others, but these attempts produced few results in the first half.

“We adjusted in ways that were predictable, but maybe not in the best ways for us in terms of continuing our development,” McDowell said.

At the 24-minute mark, uOttawa’s Cassandra Provost found the back of the net for her 5th goal of the season. She had a clear shot after Tynan stepped out to meet her but failed to clear the ball, leaving the goal open for a perfect opportunity.

The Gee Gees finished the half off with a 1-0 lead. This is the second time in two games Queen’s has given up what McDowell has deemed “a bad team goal.”

“Those learning experiences are things I think you take from early season games and look to figure out and make better and I think we will,” he said.

Queen’s came back in the second half fighting.

Right from the start of the half, Way took more control as Queen’s began working as a team and playing to each other’s strengths. She put up a shot near the 50-minute mark that was stopped, but the Gaels maintained possession and kept pursuing it.

This time, Way set up a killer assist that found Raya Athwal. Athwal was ready for it, but made sure the defense wasn’t, as she set them with a fake before blowing past to put the ball top corner.

The magic shot rightfully made it to the OUA Plays of the Week highlight reel.

With the score tied up, teams were back on even ground. Despite the many shots each team got off, none landed. The game ended in a draw.

McDowell explained it best: “Soccer is a goofy game, and if you don’t finish your chances, you get some goofy results.”

Queen’s is tired of goofy results. They will be looking for something more this Sunday when they face the RMC Paladins at 1 p.m. at Richardson Stadium.

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to journal_editors@ams.queensu.ca.

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.