A check-up on campus food establishments

Health unit inspected various campus food establishments in Sept.

Image by: Herbert Wang
Food establishments are given a chance to correct their violations.

Multiple Queen’s dining and retail facilities were inspected by health and safety inspectors in early September. The results were mixed, with some non-critical and critical violations being listed. 

At Ban Righ Dining Hall, an inspection took place on Sept. 7. The only non-critical observation was on the use of handwashing stations for employees. Employees are expected to use designated handwashing stations only for employees. Documentation noted this observation was corrected.

On the same day, Leonard Dining Hall was inspected where the non-critical observation of failure to maintain handwashing stations was documented. 

On Sept. 16, inspectors checked out Wally’s. Here, inspectors documented two non-critical observations: failure to maintain handwashing stations and failure to ensure equipment surfaces were cleaned as necessary.

The handwashing observation was corrected during inspection. The critical violation at Wally’s was for temperature control of potentially hazardous food. This violation was corrected during inspection. The current standard according to regulators is 4° Celsius, or lower, or 60° Celsius, or higher.

Location 21 and the Biosciences Complex Tim Horton’s were not cited for any violations.  

In a statement to The Journal, the University said they take health and safety seriously, and work closely with the health unit to ensure all of their locations follow safe food handling. 

“All Aramark food services staff undergo mandatory and extensive food safety training before working in our establishments and supervisors hold food safety certifications that must be renewed annually to uphold best practices,” the University said.

“Additional measures include utilizing tracking systems that monitor food temperatures, conducting random quality audits, and implementing safety precautions for food allergens across our campus food locations.”

Queen’s added they’re proud of the quality and high standards in place at their dining facilities.

For student-run establishments, Clark Hall Pub, Grad Club, and Common Ground Cafe (CoGro) were all inspected this September. 

Clark Hall Pub was cited for three critical violations, and one non-critical violation on Sept. 16. The critical violations included failure to maintain handwashing stations—which are maintained and kept adequately supplied. 

Similar to Wally’s, Clark Hall Pub was documented for internal temperature of foods. The final critical violation was failure to ensure the food handler washes hands as necessary to prevent contamination. 

All three critical observations were ordered to be corrected immediately. The non-critical violation was corrected during inspection with the violation being in regard to mechanical equipment not maintained to provide sufficient chemical solution rinse. 

At CoGro, the Sept. 14 violation was listed as food equipment not being in good repair. CoGro was given until Sept. 21 to correct this violation. 

For the Grad Club, three non-critical violations, one repeat violation, and one critical violation was observed.This included shelf design for cleanliness, equipment surface cleaning, and a critical handwashing station violation.

CoGro, dining halls, establishment, Food safety, Pubs, Queen's