CESA hosts annual charity pancake breakfast

Vice-President (External) says ‘Con-Ed is all about tradition’

Image supplied by: Supplied by CESA
All proceeds raised went to Women for Women

Queen’s Concurrent Education Student Association (CESA) hosted a charity pancake breakfast on Sept. 18 to raise funds for Women for Women, a non-for-profit organization supporting women in Afghanistan.

From 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., around 30 students came to Johnson Street to receive a pancake breakfast and donate whatever they could to support the cause. The fundraiser raised over $200 for the charity and was open to all students to attend. 

CESA Vice-President (External) Avery Desrosiers, Event Director Kayla Emmerton, and Community Affairs Coordinator Paige Gascho spoke to The Journal about the event.

Gascho said the funds will go towards supporting women through “the power of education.”

“I found this charity to be fitting for a Con-Ed event, considering all of the students in this program are passionate about providing accessible education to all […] it aims to create sustainable programs in Afghanistan and to aid those who are currently evacuating the dangerous conditions.”

“I want to use my role through CESA to help these women and families in any way I possibly can, and to hopefully spread awareness and spark this same drive within other students.”

According to Desrosiers, the event is a Con-Ed tradition, occurring annually to raise money for charity and connect Con-Ed students with the Kingston community.

“We find that a pancake breakfast is a great event to start our year off as it’s an event that is low intensity for participants, easy for students to participate in, and of course, everyone loves pancakes.”

Desrosiers said CESA hosts roughly one to two similar events each week because there’s no fixed timeframe and it’s low commitment. Providing the opportunity for new connections and friendships in a low-stress environment.

Events students should look out for this year are Con-Ed Camp, Workshop Week, Relay for Life, and the Back to School Social. 

“Specific to fundraising and charitable events, CESA and the Community Affairs team plan to host at least three more events where students can volunteer their time or donate towards charitable causes,” Desrosiers added.

Desrosiers also spoke about how Con-Ed students can get involved with CESA—CESA council is currently hiring for positions open to all years, with various levels of time commitment. 

“If you’re looking for ways to get involved with a smaller time commitment, pay close attention to CESA’s social media platforms to hear about all of the fun events coming up,” Emmerton added.

CESA, charity