Women’s Football: ‘It’s a heck of a sport’

New women’s football team extends the spirit of Queen’s football

Image by: Curtis Heinzl
All students who identify as women are invited to play.

Days after the men’s football season ended, coaches and players regrouped for their next adventure: the women’s football team.

Queen’s welcomed the women’s football team for its second sanctioned year this season. The team has existed unofficially for over a decade and is now finally getting its first real season as a sanctioned group after COVID-19 disrupted their inaugural year in 2021.

Women’s Football caters to two demographics: recreational and competitive players.  

Its recreational tournament league gives all women the opportunity to compete and grow their skills. It also runs a competitive team—whose players are selected from the recreational group—which competes at three travel tournaments during the season.

The two teams practice together to help the recreational players improve and get more familiar with the sport. Whether players can commit seven hours a week to the sport or just four, there are chances for skill development and friendly competition.

Games and practices are played indoor at both the Alliance Field Facility and in Queen’s gyms. As weather permits, however, the teams will move outdoors.

The games follow regular rules for flag football with contact allowed on the line of scrimmage, and the season will officially begin after the recreational teams are drafted on Jan. 20.

Cam Davidson—the head coach of the women’s football team and running backs coach for the men’s team—is inspired by the women’s team’s potential for impact.

“Here at Queen’s, we have an amazing legacy and tradition with our football program […] so, to now be able to develop that and tap into some of that history on the women’s side and see them put their own twist on the energy around football, the legacy, and the tradition is absolutely phenomenal,” Davidson said in an interview with The Journal.

Athletics and Recreation (A&R) shares this dream and has put substantial support behind the program.

“There’s really a special spirit around Queen’s women’s football and around the spirit of Queen’s football,” Davidson said. “It’s an absolutely unique football institution so to be able to have that energy and that new life growing on the women’s side and put your own twist and your own new flavour on over 140 years of tradition is an incredible opportunity.”

“We’ve got a chance now with tremendous coaches, tremendous support, and tremendous administration to now develop into a champion football program to really give women positive experiences in sport through playing women’s football at Queen’s.”

Players can register by contacting the @queenswfootball Instagram account. They’re still looking for players to get involved.

Cam Davidson, Football, Winter Sports, Women's Football